Help new to mac

Reaction score
Hi I have just purchased a Mac powerpc G5 from ebay
it has
250Gb HD
2G Ram
2Ghz processor
Running Mac osx 10.4.11 tiger

Is it possible to upgrade to 10.5 leopard & also to install windows xp.

Any advice would be appreciated
I have always had windows pc but just wanted to try a mac but they seen very complicated so far, I have only had it 3 days.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, but AFAIK your G5 PowerPC will not run Snow Leopard as apple have dropped support for the G5 and have moved on to Intel processors which is needed to install Snow Leopard.

I don't have any direct experience with what you want to do as I had an intel mac and was able to leap-frog Leopard and now run Snow Leopard. I just wasn't ready to move on when Leopard first came onto the shelves.

Here are a few links for you to read, about upgrading your G5 from Tiger to Leopard.

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

Installing Leopard on a Power PC drive, won't go!?

Thoughts on Leopard performance on PowerPC Macs (Updated)

I think you should also read through this thread so you get both sides of the story:

So long sweet Leopard...hello Tiger...

Now, about installing Windows XP, once again i can only point you in the direction of what info I have found available due to the fact I have no experience running Windows on a Mac, so here are a few threads to help you out:

Windows on Mac Q&A - Updated March 22, 2010

Windows on the Mac

Hope this helps you, scottenti and please drop by again to let us know how things went.

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, but AFAIK your G5 PowerPC will not run Snow Leopard as apple have dropped support for the G5 and have moved on to Intel processors which is needed to install Snow Leopard.

I don't have any direct experience with what you want to do as I had an intel mac and was able to leap-frog Leopard and now run Snow Leopard. I just wasn't ready to move on when Leopard first came onto the shelves.

Here are a few links for you to read, about upgrading your G5 from Tiger to Leopard.

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

Installing Leopard on a Power PC drive, won't go!?

Thoughts on Leopard performance on PowerPC Macs (Updated)

I think you should also read through this thread so you get both sides of the story:

So long sweet Leopard...hello Tiger...

Now, about installing Windows XP, once again i can only point you in the direction of what info I have found available due to the fact I have no experience running Windows on a Mac, so here are a few threads to help you out:

Windows on Mac Q&A - Updated March 22, 2010

Windows on the Mac

Hope this helps you, scottenti and please drop by again to let us know how things went.

Thank you for the informative stuff, you are so helpful.

Ask a Question