Help! My mac shuts down randomly.

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a new member at this forum and first of all, I'm sorry if my english is not good enough.

So, my macbook air ( mid 2012) is shutting down randomly. And sometimes the shutdown notification (when you click the power button) pops up randomly even when I'm not clicking the button, and it suddenly turns the mac off. There are other cases, when I'm using my mac, no shutdown notification pops up, but it randomly shuts the mac off too.
I checked if my mac is overheating, but it seems like it didn't overheat. I have tried to look on apple help and doing the Cmd + Alt + P + R at the boot up but it still shutsdown randomly.

I need ur guys help please, sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for helping!

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a new member at this forum and first of all, I'm sorry if my english is not good enough.

So, my macbook air ( mid 2012) is shutting down randomly. And sometimes the shutdown notification (when you click the power button) pops up randomly even when I'm not clicking the button, and it suddenly turns the mac off. There are other cases, when I'm using my mac, no shutdown notification pops up, but it randomly shuts the mac off too.
I checked if my mac is overheating, but it seems like it didn't overheat. I have tried to look on apple help and doing the Cmd + Alt + P + R at the boot up but it still shutsdown randomly.

I need ur guys help please, sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for helping!

Reaction score
Need to know the following:

1. What exact MacBook Air model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Are you making backups to an external device? And if so, what software are you using for that?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

5. How many Mac OS "updates" (ie, like going from Yosemite to El Capitan, for example) have you done? And if you have done those, were they done "in place", that is, having the new OS basically "overlay" the older one?

Oh, and if you are trying to boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, the keyboard combination is Command and R. This link discusses what you can do with that partition:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2

But, it is important that you first answer those questions, so that we can better assist you.

Reaction score
1. I think it's MacBookAir5,2.

2. OS X El Capitan.

3. No, i don't know how to do that..

4. Never done anything like service or repairs.

5. When the first time i bought it, the OS was Lion, and i did update the OS two times, from Lion to Yosemite and then from Yosemite to El Capitan. And i don't know anything about that " new OS overlaying the older one "

I don't know what to do, when i wrote this down, the shutdown notification always pops up like 5 to 7 times and if i don't click the cancel button, it will turn the mac off. And sometimes it randomly turn into sleep mode. And if I don't wake it up, it suddenly turns the mac off.

So what am I going to do now?
and um, when i click the link, it says "we're sorry"

Thanks for helping me! and sorry for my bad english.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 1.13.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 1.13.21 PM.png
    59 KB · Views: 316
Reaction score
OK, I actually have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, except I have a 256 (actually 251) gig SSD.

In any event, without ever doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, never did a backup to an external drive, and having done the two OS upgrades "in place", you have some challenging times ahead to try and get things right again!

It seems to be there are issues with the directory structure on your internal SSD drive (and maybe some other issues).

First, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? And if you are, what exact Mac model is it?

Secondly, can you boot your machine to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition by holding down the Command and R keys at the same time?

Reaction score
No, i'm not using another mac. when i wrote my post, my mac randomly sleeps and i have to wake it up, because if i didn't, the mac will shutdown. And the shutdown notification is still pops up like 5 to 7 times, and if i just ignore it, it will shutdown the mac.

I'll try to do what you told me now! Thanks

Ask a Question