Help for getting Automator to change my internet password on a schedule

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here. I'd like to see if I can get Automator to change my family's internet password at a set time each night and then change it back again at a set time each morning -I've got teenagers who need help "disconnecting". Is that possible or would it need to be a terminal script or something else? Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Reaction score
Technical specs -We've got an Apple Airport Extreme and I control it from my personal MBP Laptop. It's old, so I'm maxed out at running OSX 10.7.5.

Reaction score
Hi welcome,

Apple script will change passwords here is a example

(do shell script "dscl . -passwd /Users/<username> <oldpassword> <newpassword>") without the brackets, but never tried it to change passwords at set times. And not sure you can accomplish this using this route, maybe Internet parental controls from within system preferences.

Have a look here. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2900

Reaction score
Are you sure using a computer to control your children is the right parenting model?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes I agree that it would be a lousy parenting style if that was all I did, but this home has teenagers with iPods and iPads and Netflix and other distractions (including girlfriends who love messaging late at night). Short of collecting all electronic gadgets at night (still an option on the table) I'd like to try the "our house if off-line from 10pm to 7am each night" option first. Hence my request.

Reaction score
Hi,

As I said you can restrict device net time and set times there devices gain access, with the AE just check my last link out.

Reaction score
Hi,

Your welcome, Think this is your route. AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Manual Setup > AirPort > Access Control, and then, select the MAC Address Access Control = Timed Access option.

From there you should be able to easly assign access times based on the MAC hardware address of the computer connected to the AE.

Reaction score
If thats your goal, then the easiest option is to switch the power switch off on the router.

Ask a Question