Help extending network...

Reaction score
I currently have a wi-fi network set up through an airport express, but moved my desk to a small shed out in my backyard. What would be the best way to extend the network so I get proper signal out there since I can't run cable?

I'd really appreciate some help with this, so thanks for your time...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It probably won't be successful, depending on the distance to the shed, the types of construction of the house/shed, and any environmental issues.

Give us a little more information about the setup/environment and we'll try to help.

C

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply Cory- I had just started giving up hope...

The house is a very small very old house, constructed in 1927. There's pretty much no insulation at all. At the longest the cable extends to, the signal then has to pass through two rooms with no door or wall between them, and then a wall to the outdoor area. The shed is only about ten feet away from that wall, and a story below. The shed is made of wood. There is no doubt most houses have farther distances and more obstacles for their wireless signals to travel to- If I leave the current airport express where it is, it can get the signal (occasionally loses it) but it's a very slow connection, not quite dialup, I would say more like an internet cafe in India... If that helps. I have experimented with dragging the cable as far as it will go to the center of that room so it has a more direct route (sight line to the wall the shed is through) and the signal noticeably improves, though nothing like the having the computer in the room itself.

Even boosting the signal enough that it functions with quick speed on the internet, and I can download and upload files would work for my purposes. I plan to use it mainly as an edit station and not for browsing the internet, so just getting it to useable speed is all I need, and I'm open to any solution.

I thought of trying those airports only because I had them laying around, but whatever you think might be best let me know.

Again, really appreciate you following up, working in a rent-a-office space as we speak!

Austin

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

After reading through your post, I have a few suggestions/comments:

-Since line-of-sight signal is better, maybe get a longer Ethernet cable to position it closer to the outside wall.
-Due to the height difference, it could cause some signal degradation.
-Try changing the wireless channel manually and see if the signal strength is better.
-Depending on the model of AE, try running the wireless at a slower protocol - 802.11b instead of 802.11g/n.
-Adjust the multicast rate to a lower number - the lower the number, the more distance you get.

C

Reaction score
Very interesting...

I'll figure out how to experiment with all those sendings and see what how much I can improve it that way.

I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks!

Ask a Question