Help CD won't boot & flashing question mark

Reaction score
I took a chance on an Ebay bought G4 Agp 500mhz DVDROM 512mb ram(new) new batt 40g HD good PSU good keyboard and mouse no scsi no zip Dell Flat panel monitor

Came with no OS. Firm Ware is 4.2.8. I bought a PowerMac G4 Grey CD set 9.0.4

I've done the PRAM, NVRAM, the CUDA.

I put the install CD in and hold the C key until my folder with the picasso face and question mark blinks. I also have held the option key and get a curved arrow on the left and a right pointing arrow on the right, the left one makes the wristwatch appear the left one doesn't do anything. I have tried holding T and using my Sony DVD RAM but didn't work-not surprised.

Is there some way to verify the DVD and HD drives are ok? The DVD led lights up and the disc spins but nothing else really happens- maybe the optic is out of whack? HD makes a few normal noises and that's it.

My guess is the DVD Rom is bad. I have also tried a different install CD OS8.x

Thoughts????

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

What did the 'seller' say about the Mac, was it meant to be in working order ?

Have you access to an external cd player that you could plug in ?

Or a external hard drive and a friend with an another Mac ?

Depending on what disks you bought there is sometimes a 'Silver' Disk this has the Apple Hardware Diagnostic Tools on it...On other disks it's on the Main install disk...

...this doesn't really help though if the CD drive is dead ? You are going to need a external cd/dvd drive or a copy of OS X on an external Firewire drive...then you can boot off that and start fault finding.

Do all the cables look as though they are properly 'seated'...sometimes when someone sells a computer they take out bits etc and may have accidently knocked a cable ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
sold as is and not doa

i have a sony dvdram external firewire/usb

no external hard drive no mac friends

I have checked all the cables and bits

I didn't thnik a sawtooth was externally bootable though? Although I did try via firewire...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

from memory I thought it was Yikes that couldn't boot from Firewire...I'll have to check...

...try the external Sony ;-)

Hold down the option key when booting this should then give you the choice of where to boot from...

The OS 8.x disk is it a retail version ? Or is it a bundled one ? The disks you have may be for specific machines and that is compounding the problem ?

Try the external again and let us know...I'll have another think ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

The 8x is oem ibook of a friends. Mine are oem Powermac g4 9.0.4 I am wondering if they are too old to boot with, drivers or something? My DVDRAM won't do any better with FW or USB. Are you familar with any open firmware language? If I could test the drives that would help.

Brian

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Are based in the UK or else where ?

If you are really stuck, I would be quite happy to have a look at the drive...and install OS 9 on it for you...you would have to take the drive out package it in an anti static bag etc and post it to me (with the OS disk).

Alternatively, you need to get hold of a OS 9 'retail' cd, this works on any Mac, and try and install from that.

This is one of those frustrating ones that if it was in front of me...I could tell you quickly what exactly was up with it ?

Do you have a 'freindly' Apple Store nearby...they may have an old copy of a Mac OS 9 Retail cd that they'll let you have to test ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Berzerkeley California- a bit far. Thanks though. This will probably be something simple but this is my first Mac and just don't know enough yet. Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what the mac gurus are willing to do down the street.

thanks

Brian

Ric

Reaction score
ginzu98 said:
Hi,

The 8x is oem ibook of a friends. Mine are oem Powermac g4 9.0.4 I am wondering if they are too old to boot with, drivers or something? My DVDRAM won't do any better with FW or USB. Are you familar with any open firmware language? If I could test the drives that would help.

Brian

Hi Brian,

completely missed that post !

if you need any Open firmware tips let me know...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
How do check the DVD ROM and Hard Drive?

I can bring up the device list/tree and see the hard drive. Not sure what to look for for the DVD? But on a PC in the bios you can usually see your devices and some bioses offer a diagnostic tool. IS there anything like that in open firmware 4.2.8?

thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there...

Apple said:
About the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8 will run only on Power Mac G4 and Macintosh Server G4 models with AGP graphics running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local hard disk. If you are using Mac OS X on your Power Mac G4 or Macintosh Server G4, you must start up from a local Mac OS 9.1 or later writeable partition (not a CD or network disk) before following the update instructions.

The disk you have 'will not' boot that Mac, now, that it has been updated to firmware 4.2.8

Looks like you need a new disk...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Argghh. That makes sense. I just ordered a dvdrom for $15 used thinking it might be the drive. Well would you happen to know if there is anything I need to do to just upgrade to (full retail version 10.4) OSX? Assuming that was the only problem.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

You don't need to upgrade anything to put tiger on, it may need some more Ram, but not for the install (256MB minimum).

Assuming that the drive etc is okay, then the Retail edition of Tiger should 'just' install.

Shame there's no one around your area that could just stick in a Tiger DVD to check it for you !

Do you have the means to 'burn' a Mac HFS CD...I presume you're on a PC ? You would need Nero or silimar.

If you have I will try and dig out a Apple Hardware Test CD...you could download it ..burn it...to check the Mac.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question