help burning dvd mac os x

Reaction score
Hi I need help

I can burn movies onto cd but not dvd

yes the computer is dvd -write -r -rw
and yes i'm using dvd-r disk

I try to burn on the dvd but it always comes back with an error then i use the same procedure but on cd and it works i'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong. i would prefer to use dvd cause i could fit more on a disk. please help:(

karazelle

Reaction score
Hi I need help

I can burn movies onto cd but not dvd

yes the computer is dvd -write -r -rw
and yes i'm using dvd-r disk

I try to burn on the dvd but it always comes back with an error then i use the same procedure but on cd and it works i'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong. i would prefer to use dvd cause i could fit more on a disk. please help:(

We need more info.
What does the error message say?
What program do you use to burn it with?
- Finder, Disk Utility, command line?
- Toast, BurnIt, other program?

Go to the Apple menu -> About this computer -> click on "Disk burning" under Hardware to see your drives capabilities.. What does that say?

Reaction score
All i do to try and burn a movie is creat a burn folder from the desktop then burn from that. I don't use a program or anything. But that only burns on a cd not a dvd

karazelle

Reaction score
All i do to try and burn a movie is creat a burn folder from the desktop then burn from that. I don't use a program or anything. But that only burns on a cd not a dvd

As mentioned to make DVDs like that you need software like Roxio Toast etc.
You can also create a DVD master image in Disk utility which comes with your Mac. A bit cumbersome, but this is how:

Create a folder on your Mac. This will act as the "DVD". Put stuff inside it. When you are done, open Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities and under the File menu, use "New -> Image from folder". Navigate to your folder and select it. Then choose DVD Master or Hybrid from the list and give it a filename or location. When it's done, you get a 4.7Gb file in that location! Watch disk space!
Now, insert empty DVD and click once on the file on the left in Disk utility and then click the Burn image button on the tool bar. When the disk is burnt, test it, then delete the DMG file and perhaps also the folder you created.

If this solves your problem, remember to mark Thread as solved using Thread tools.

Ask a Question