HDMI cable from iMac M1 to non-apple television not working

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I tried to connect my iMac M1 to my Samsung TV using a HDMI cable using an adapter, but it does not work. Does anyone know why? Does it need a special type of HDMI cable?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I tried to connect my iMac M1 to my Samsung TV using a HDMI cable using an adapter, but it does not work. Does anyone know why? Does it need a special type of HDMI cable?

Thank you!
Not all HDMI cables are equal. The latest HDMI protocol is 2.1a. If you cable is “old,” it might be pre-2.0. I have a version 2.0 cable connecting my Intel Mac mini to my 4K Roku TV and it works fine. I also bought a 2.1 (not 2.1a) cable to connect my Mac Studio to my LG 4K HDR monitor and it worked but found it inferior to using Display Port. I will be trying a Thunderbolt 4 cable next, as soon as my order comes in.

Didn’t mean to be confusing—I just wanted to impress on you that there are a lot of variables with HDMI. If you wish to give it another try, and if you think your present cable is not up to the present standards, I suggest getting 2.1 or 2.1a. The latter should be labeled as 8K HDMI since anything before it, even 2.1, is not 8K-certified, I believe. Get the shortest length that you will need, even though HDMI is quite forgiving in that area, up to 20 feet, I think, but the less cable length, the less the problems due to impedance. They are surprisingly “cheap” compared to Thunderbolt 4 cables. $129 for a 1.8 meter cable from Apple?! Ouch!

P.S. I forgot to ask about the “adapter” you are using with the cable. What kind is it? Maybe the problem might be coming from it, not from the cable.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! I use a CableCreation hub meant for the new iMac, which has the HDMI socket. The cable I have is rather old; I shall look for a 8k version.

Ask a Question