hardware and software to create a CD Rom

Reaction score
Hi, We've got a grandma living across the sea and we really want to create a CD of our son singing to help her recover her way back from a heart attack that has left her quite unresponsive except to some sounds. I'm using a MacBook Pro - 2013 with Mojave and my partner has a iPad Pro (2nd Generation). We bought a cheap CD-ROM player/burner, but neither of our computers recognise it when we plug it into our USB port. We really want to get a CD to her. Any helpful ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What brand/model is the CD-ROM drive?
-Is it USB-powered or does it have an AC adapter?
-Did it come with any software?

C

Reaction score
thanks, Cory. Brand of CD-ROM drive is heh-heh "eBay brandies". USB powered. No adaptor, no software. Maybe we should start over?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Yes, that may be part of the issue - a lot of the very inexpensive drives claim Mac compatibility, but don't play nice out of the box. I know the Apple USB SuperDrive will work, but it is much more expensive at $79 USD.

There are some other third-party USB optical drives that should work, from companies like LG and OWC. They are priced around $35 USD: MacSales - External Optical Drives.

C

Ask a Question