Cassette to CD Software/Hardware

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a bunch of old concerts that I have on tape from tape trading (legally) and want to move them over to CD for better quality and the fact that newer cars do not have cassette decks. Is there any software/hardware that isn't terribly expensive that anyone can suggest. Not looking for a masterpeice just somethign I can listen to in the car and be of comparable quality to what the tape was. Not looking to increase much maybe some mild digitization but nothing huge as that I don't have a lot of experiance with it and my ear isn't looking for miracles.

thanks in advance.
Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Andy,

can you remind me what Mac you have ?

Does it have Audio inputs ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i have the ibook g4 without the super drive running max osx tiger 10.x (not sure what ive updated to last) and i have an audio out jack for headphones and i assume I have one for a mic but nothing as far as components etc..

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that, unfortunately there are 8 different iBooks that fit that description... ;-(

As far as I can see without knowing the exact model, your iBook doesn't have sound in ?

Go to the Apple Menu...About this Mac...more info and then post the "hardware Overview" leave off the Serial number..

Like this...

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1

WireTap Pro is what I would probably use. It's cheap and does a good job.

As for hardware...iMic this plugs into your USB port and then you need a connector to link your stereo to the line in on the iMic...

There are of course lots of other ways of doing this...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...looks like the iMic now comes with it's own software...so you may not need WTP.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
once again ric, thank you for such a helpful and quick response. Will check that out and when i get homei will check the computer specs...stuck using a junk PC at work today....its hard to go back and forth all the time to remember what is where LOL

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

bennett66 said:
move them over to CD for better quality and the fact that newer cars do not have cassette decks. Is there any software/hardware that isn't terribly expensive that anyone can suggest. Not looking for a masterpeice just somethign I can listen to in the car and be of comparable quality to what the tape was. Not looking to increase much maybe some mild digitization but nothing huge as that I don't have a lot of experiance with it and my ear isn't looking for miracles.
Well, the best you can do is to transfer at the same quality...not better. There isn't a way to improve on the quality of the original source. However, once transferred, you can manipulate the audio to sound better to your ears via equalization, noise reduction, etc., but it is still the same quality level as the original.

Yes, iMic is compatible with Griffin Finyl Vinyl 2.0 for OS X, which is freeware. it does the job of transferring recordings very well.

Reaction score
I use the iMic with the CD Spin Doctor software that used to be free with Toast. It has some basic filters built into it that work very nicely for converting either cassettes or vinyl over to CD.

Ric

Reaction score
bennett66 said:
once again ric, thank you for such a helpful and quick response. Will check that out and when i get homei will check the computer specs...stuck using a junk PC at work today....its hard to go back and forth all the time to remember what is where LOL

No problem !

Sound like a few people on here have them so best query them on how good it is !

thanks guys.

Reaction score
just got home...transitioning back into apple mode LOL..here are my specs for the computer ric.

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Disabled
Version: 1.0

Reaction score
Andy:

It appears that the iMic is your best bet. I have been using iMic for a couple of years, but not with their software, which I just downloaded a few minutes ago. Here are the sites:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/

http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_imic.html

As long as you can provide a stereo cord for the input, this should be a simple (albeit time consuming) project. Your G4 is certainly fast enough, you have enough RAM, but you will need a lot of hard drive space; I would estimate about 10 MB per minute of audio in the raw, AIFF format.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I've got over 60 gigs of space available with all the junk I have on here...could probably free up 15-20 gigs more......the reason i ask this as well is I have a customer at work who sent off a couple tapes today to have it done and is paying over 10 dollars a tape-cd and then paid about 20 dollars shipping...so i offered to help him out and do it locally...and all he wants is direct transfer...doesn't want it cleaned up any and I told him i was going to get the software anyways for my persoanal use and he is going to supply me with cds and I'm going to charge him 5 bucks a tape (he has over 200) so i figure that is an easy grand...just a little time consuming but heck i sit on the computer enough why not make money doing it LOL...thanks for all the help all

Reaction score
Dang!! Once you get that going, it will be easy money! I am sure that others (I included) would be interested to hear how it all goes, and if you pick up any tips and tricks for making the transfers. Please post back again sometime with a report.

Reaction score
and here is the kicker...he doesn't want it partitioned by song or even set. he wants to keep the integrity of the original setup without the breaks in the crowd cheering etc...so its going to be ripped/recorded/burned as one large file so minimal work will be needed..

Ask a Question