Hard disc software error, e-Mac OS 10.5.8

Reaction score
Today when I tried to verify the hard disc on my e-Mac, OS 10.5.8, I got a message saying the disc needed to be repaired. I ran disc utility from a start-up disc and it repaired nearly all, but not all the problems. Now the message is "invalid leaf record count. It should be 1646, instead of 95." Apparently disc utility cannot fix that problem. (I've tried verify, then repair several times. Is there something to be done?

Reaction score
Hi,

I would run fsck in single user mode, once in single user mode follow the directions on screen.

To start up in single-user mode:

1) Choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the power button if the computer is turned off.

2) Press Command-S as the computer starts up.

The computer screen is black with standard white text.

Type the following command into the terminal and press Enter to start a file system check:
/sbin/fsck -fy

This will start the disk checking, once it is done you will see one of two messages.

1) The volume [name] appears to be OK” if everything is fine.
2) If it found problems, you’ll see a * FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED * message.

This indicates fsck found and fixed problems. The fsck command may find additional errors after repairing the first batch of errors, so Apple recommends you run the fsck command again if it found and fixed problems.

Personally I would run the above fsck command until you see a “** The volume [name] appears to be OK” message.
If the fsck command says your disk is okay, type the following command at the terminal and press Enter:

reboot

Your Mac will reboot, returning you to the usual login screen.

There are only three ways I know of to fix this invalid leaf record count problem:(

1- Run FSCK - may fix
2- DiskWarrior - may be able to fix
3- Reformat the drive.

Please post back with results.

Reaction score
Hi,

I would run fsck in single user mode, once in single user mode follow the directions on screen.

To start up in single-user mode:

1) Choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the power button if the computer is turned off.

2) Press Command-S as the computer starts up.

The computer screen is black with standard white text.

Type the following command into the terminal and press Enter to start a file system check:
/sbin/fsck -fy

This will start the disk checking, once it is done you will see one of two messages.

1) The volume [name] appears to be OK” if everything is fine.
2) If it found problems, you’ll see a * FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED * message.

This indicates fsck found and fixed problems. The fsck command may find additional errors after repairing the first batch of errors, so Apple recommends you run the fsck command again if it found and fixed problems.

Personally I would run the above fsck command until you see a “** The volume [name] appears to be OK” message.
If the fsck command says your disk is okay, type the following command at the terminal and press Enter:

reboot

Your Mac will reboot, returning you to the usual login screen.

There are only three ways I know of to fix this invalid leaf record count problem:(

1- Run FSCK - may fix
2- DiskWarrior - may be able to fix
3- Reformat the drive.

Please post back with results.
Thanks so much. I ran fsck and got "file system was modified." So ran it again and got volume appears OK.

May I ask one more thing? I've partitioned the disc so I can run OS 9 in one partition. Can I reformat and reinstall software in just one of the partitons if problems occur there?

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I ran fsck and got "file system was modified." So ran it again and got volume appears OK.

May I ask one more thing? I've partitioned the disc so I can run OS 9 in one partition. Can I reformat and reinstall software in just one of the partitons if problems occur there?

Reaction score
Hi,

You should be able to do this via Disk Utility, but please post a screen shot of yours first before you do anything. Utilities - Disk Utility - Partition.

As it may have the box graphics not the circle like mine. And if box graphics you should not delete the top partition as it will stay as dead space, only delete bottom partition then using box corner you can resize partition into just one. You can not resize the partition upwards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 07.48.24.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 07.48.24.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Reaction score

Hi,

You should be able to do this via Disk Utility, but please post a screen shot of yours first before you do anything. Utilities - Disk Utility - Partition.

As it may have the box graphics not the circle like mine. And if box graphics you should not delete the top partition as it will stay as dead space, only delete bottom partition then using box corner you can resize partition into just one. You can not resize the partition upwards.

OK, thanks. Not now, but in the future if problems arise. I'm quite sure my disc utility shows the box graphics.

Ask a Question