Disc Utilities Fatal Hardware Error

Reaction score
My PowerBook G4 (OS X 10.5.8) was showing no symptoms that anything was wrong. Even as I write this my internet seems fine and dandy, but when I went to do a routine utilities disk repair and these pictures display what I found....

First Picture Reads:
This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility.

If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive.

The S.M.A.R.T. Status is Failing

Second Picture Reads: - The same as first picture with different generic info at the bottom

Third Picture Reads:

To erase a rewritable CD or DVD so that you can write to it again:

1. Choose how to erase it.

If you haven't been able to save to or read from the disc reliably, select Completely. Otherwise, select Quickly.

Quickly erasing a disc takes a few minutes. Completely erasing it can take an hour.

2. Click Erase.
Waiting for a disc to be inserted

**I can email better quality pictures**

Does this simply mean I'm screwed???????????

I have discs, but I never EVER used them. I haven't a clue what to do.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 433
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 459
Reaction score
BACKUP NOW!!!

You will have to replace the old Hard drive.

PowerBook G4 not worth the cost of a new HD, time to buy a new MacBook Pro, the 15" is the best bang for buck.

Reaction score
I've never done this before. I will buy more equipment if it is the safer route, but do you think my laptop can handle me backing it up to a website online some where?

I think I only need a good way to back it up until I have found a replacement. No need spend money on an external hard drive that will also break one day.

Reaction score
I can only say that your S.M.A.R.T test failed and your Hard Drive is Failing, I've seen a lot of drives of that age fail. You are very lucky to get this chance to backup.

Suit yourself how you try to do the Backup, the quicker the better.

All drives fail eventually.

It's up to you if you spend good money on a computer that age, over 6 years is a long time in computer years.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. One last **EASY** question. I bought a WD external hard drive. My computer is showing two folders for it. Which one should I choose?

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 418
Reaction score
the one with the disc icon.

check that it's not formatted for Windows first.

If it is use Disk Utility and format it to OS X Journaled.

karazelle

Reaction score
Thank you sooooooooo much!!! :eek:

Harddrives are like cars. They are exposed for constant wear and tear, and yes, one day they can die, and you will be upset by the inconvenience, but its hard to live without them in the meantime.

They will usually work for years and most people run out of disk space before they fail. :)

Buying new harddrives is a constant in the computer world we live in. ;) And they are significantly cheaper than cars...

karazelle

Reaction score
Also, may I have your permission to "steal" one of your screenshots for a blog post I want to write about this topic? Link to my blog in my signature.

Reaction score
Of course you may use my screen shot!

Thanks again all! Friend of mine installed a new 40GB hard drive. Might not last forever, but it'll keep me intact until I can save up for something bigger/newer! :cool:

P.S. Err... I can't find anything that indicates "solved" in the Thread Tools, but I'm pretty dang satisfied.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
P.S. Err... I can't find anything that indicates "solved" in the Thread Tools, but I'm pretty dang satisfied.

I also can't find the "Solved" option and I know it was there because I've used it before ... ?? You can always add "Thread Solved" to the beginning of your Thread Title.

Ask a Question