Graphics question

Reaction score
Hi MacPeople! Can anyone recommend a graphics software that will include the ability to do cutouts? When you're creating, you want your images without the white-box background, right? A free download would be perfect.:D I can do anything I need with iphoto or Powerpoint except cutouts.

Thanks very much for reading and advising!

(I just love the word "mac" -- it's always friendly no matter how it's used. No one ever things to make it derogatory, "You machead!" But hey, even that doesn't sound bad. ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Photoshop is the best but free there's Gimp !

This will allow you to do your cutouts ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Photoshop is the best but free there's Gimp !

This will allow you to do your cutouts ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Hi Ric,

Now I demonstrate my level of MB stupid. I downloaded Gimp, then saw that I need the X11.app. Your link states that 10.4 users (me) will find it on the Tiger DVD installer disc. Should one be with my MB? There are two installation discs 1 & 2 but nothing labeled as Tiger DVD.

Thanks for your help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies, it was a very short answer on my part !

I'll pop up a quick "How to install Gimp on OS X tutorial, with Screengrabs tonight..."

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies, it was a very short answer on my part !

I'll pop up a quick "How to install Gimp on OS X tutorial, with Screengrabs tonight..."

regards

Ric

okay, I'm ready ......:)

Ric

Reaction score
...apologies !

A scratched cornea, and a trip to the hospital got in the way ! ;-)

I shall sort it out for you tonight.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
A scratched cornea - now that must be very sore Ric :eek: Contact lenses by any chance?

I hope the hospital gave you some drops to keep it moist :wink:

I am also interested in the tutorial btw :)

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, I have never had glasses, lenses for about 15 years !!

I was told off (again) for not having glasses by the optician !

The last few weeks I have been trying different lenses (3 types so far) to get a more eye friendly pair...apparently the daily disposables aren't that good for the eye...and so I should get some that let more oxygen through...

It wasn't/isn't too sore, it was the optician misdiagnosing it as a "Corneal Infraction" or something like that...and his mutterings about loss of sight that put the willies up me !!!

Fortunately, he was wrong and Manchester's finest eye hospital diagnosed a scratch, so I have some gunky cream, which is impossible to make it stick on your eyeball and Vision Express have relieved me of a few hundred pounds for some glasses !!! (...but they did make them in less than an hour ! ;-))

(driving with only one contact lens in, is not to be recommended !)

5 more days of wearing glasses, then the lenses are going back in...if I'm all clear !

Reversing the car in glasses is impossible, the field of view is appalling !

Unless I'm pointing my head in the direction that I want to see (and not just my eyes) then the view is rubbish !

I'm sure that I would 'eventually' get used to glasses...

Hats off to all you glasses wearers !

Tutorial will be up around 9pm tonight, one the ankle biter is in bed !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
;-)

rictoday.gif

Reaction score
Ric, my oldest uses contact lenses (he is 19) and he gets them from specsavers.

He gets the premium package, and he can leave these in completely for one month at a time (no taking out at night).

The let more oxygen through and he has had no issues with them at all - he much prefers them to the daily ones which irritated his eyes.

For the premium package, they post him his lenses every month, they give him a spare pair every month, just in case, they give solution too (although this is only needed initially since they are left in all month) and the cost....£15 per month by direct debit.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin...eid=39&pname=contact_lenses/allinclusive.html

You want the continuous wear lenses - for 15.50 they are better quality.

Alternatively, if you don't want the assesment, and aftercare, or a spare pair every month etc, you can order them online direct from specsavers and you get 6 pairs for 6 months for £28.

http://www.specsaversdirect.com/cgi...bdbEinAR=&bcdikbndQjdEUaka=&bbZjjDkafpjfkjkH=

Love the Meez ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that,

I have been with Vision Express for years...but then switched to Boots...that's when the scratch occured.

I had a similar package with all the aftercare, eye test etc thrown in.

Funnily enough Wifey mentioned Specsavers last night, I shall have to see what type they have got. I do like all the regular checkup bits though...I like too know that my eyes are okay !

Certainly seems a lot cheaper than what I have been paying !

A few years ago I had Johnson and Johnson lenses that were similar to your Sons...you wore them for 2 weeks without taking them out, I used them for a few years with no problems but the opticians then decided that it wasn't a good plan to sleep in them...my opticians still say it's not best to sleep in any lenses...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
...apologies !

A scratched cornea, and a trip to the hospital got in the way ! ;-)

I shall sort it out for you tonight.

regards

Ric

Ohmigawd! Do you wear a patch while it heals? They look quite dashing, you know. ;) Wishing your eye a speedy and complete recovery.
Eliza

Ric

Reaction score
No patch...I think the Wife's still getting used to the glasses...if I wore a patch she'd probably get me a Parrot !

An artist's impression...

patch.gif

Reaction score
ROFL!!! Ric, I reckon ye would make a great pirate. Ye needs a parrot on yer shoulder! I believe a lot o' scallywags would love it!

Ric, sorry to hear about the eye problems. Welcome to my world. ;) I too wish for a speedy recovery for your eyes!

I cannot wear contact lenses. My eyes are too sensitive for them. Plus, they wouldn't help me see better anyway as my vision is not correctable. But I do wear glasses and that's only because I look good in them! LOL

Ric

Reaction score
...my pirate days are long over !

I buy all my software ! ;-)

Just to get back on topic for a minute... the X11 tutorial is here.

Ask a Question