Grab & Sys Pref

Reaction score
MacBook Pro - 10.10.5

A few days ago, my MacBook Pro displayed a message when I opened the lid, which said something like:
"Your Mac (Computer?) detected a problem and had to shut down." It restarted on its own but has been doing strange things since then.

Two definite repeated problems are that I can no longer use Grab or make some changes in System Preferences.

!. Firstly, 'Grab.' - When I try to take a screenshot of a selection only, as soon as I click to select the area I want, it does not select and I then get the message in the first image below. It happens every time and I can only use 'cmd/shift/3 to get a full screen which I then crop in iPhoto.

2. System Preferences - I wanted to change the order of Wifi signals and went to SysPref/Advanced. Each time I try this, as soon as I try to move the top Wifi to further down the list, I get the message in the second image. Even if I don't try to change them, I still get the message after a few second of opening the Advanced tab.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening? My laptop is only a year old so it shouldn't be failing! It has also been really slow for some time to respond to opening Apps and email etc. yet I've only used half of its storage space. I should also perhaps add that Safari has been crashing regularly for the last few weeks too.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 303
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

1. Grab: Crashing could be corrupt preference or disk permissions.
2. System Preferences: Same as above.
3. Safari: A third-party extension could cause the Safari crashing.

The first thing I would do is repair disk permissions using Disk Utility, then restart.

-Do you have any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have any anti-virus apps installed?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

I don't have any of the utilities you mention or AV apps.

Since my initial post, I downloaded what updates were waiting and this involved my Mac having to restart. I notice that the problems above now seem to have resolved, except for Safari crashing, and my Mac being incredibly slow. Is it still worth repairing Disk permissions to see if it resolves that issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad it is getting better.

Yes, it never hurts to repair disk permissions if you are experiencing problems.

-Have you tried disabling all Safari Extensions to see if that helps the crashing?
-Do you have Adobe Flash installed and is it up to date?
-Do you have Java installed and is it up to date?
-Have your tried another browser such as Google Chrome?

C

Ask a Question