Grab in Firefox

Reaction score
I'm just curious.. one of the services offered by Firefox is Grab. It's in bold print so would indicate it should work but when the word Grab is highlighted the normal options of screen, selection and window appear but are dimmed and don't work.
I open Grab through App when i need to but it would be quicker and more simple to be able to do it straight through the browser.
Is there an explanation for this please?

Reaction score
Sorry don't use FF.

I use Command - Shift - 4, then select the region, works everywhere. Command - Shift - 3 does the whole screens.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As far as I know, you only use a Service where it makes sense to do so. you can't include a screenshot taken using Grab.app in a webpage you're viewing & the Grab.app captured image isn't saved to your Hard Disc so while you can use Grab as a standalone app (which is unnecessary as Mac OS X has great keyboard shortcuts for screen grabs) this is likely why it is greyed out as a Service in Firefox.

The apps I can think of off the top of my head that use screen capturing in their Service Menu are Mail.app, Word Processors like Text Edit, Bean etc.

My advice echoes Kaveman's, forget Grab and just use the keyboard shortcuts:

Command + Shift + 3 for entire screen capture
Command + Shift + 4 (see Kaveman's post)
Command + Shift + 4 then position the mouse cursor over any window and press the spacebar will turn the cross hairs into a camera icon ... then left click to take a screenshot of the selected window ... to abort just press the Escape key.​

Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation, i do sort of understand it but i will study it more. When i use Grab i am used to it asking me where i want to save the item and it goes on the desktop, its usually only temporary, but from what you are saying perhaps that wouldn't be an option in F Fox. it just seemed strange that Grab is in black print, suggesting activity, its beyond that point that it's dimmed.
With the shortcuts, i've never used them, the keys are held down at the same time?
I did try the shortcut Kaveman gave me but there wasn't any response at all.. this might be due to the fact i am using an original iMac keyboard on my eMac and it might not always behave the same? I have a small computer desk and it mostly does the job.

Reaction score
Its been the same keys since forever, maybe even OS 9 and before...

I've just had a look around my FF and I can't see any Grap button, there is no Toolbar option called grap. Maybe its something you installed that isn't working, FF isn't Apple nor are its add ins.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
When you press the keyboard combination: Command + Shift + 4 ... look at the mouse cursor it changes to a crosshair ... then you just drag to select any region and when you take your finger off the mouse the screenshot is created and placed on the desktop.

Reaction score
Perfect ! That was the key so to speak. Kaveman said he couldn't see a Grab button. its Firefox>Services. I've looked in mail and its the same thing Grab is in black print but the options are grayed out so its seems quite normal but now i know the short cut so that's fine. i use Grab a lot to take a picture of Trade Me payments. Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I use Grab a lot to take a picture of Trade Me payments. Thanks.

Then the following method is tailor made for your exact need. I use this keyboard combo exactly for the same reason you do, to take pictures of screens when I purchase items online or other such important moments ...

Spawn_Dooley said:
Command + Shift + 4 then position the mouse cursor over any window and press the spacebar will turn the cross hairs into a camera icon ... then left click to take a screenshot of the selected window ... to abort just press the Escape key.

Reaction score
I will definitely try out this method for Grab. But Left click a Mac ! I didn't know you could. i have almost been smug when PC operators tell me to right or left click and i reply "no" can't do that.. its just one click or 2.
Am going to start another thread.. to do with admin accounts. Thanks again

Reaction score
I use this trick for my screen snaps. In my home folder I've created a folder call Screenshots, (or anything else you want but have to use the same folder below) then in terminal

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/[YOURUSERNAME]/Screenshots

and now thats where all those pesky shots go.

Think about what you need it for, I only snapshot graphics, if I want a web page I use web archive, if I want it as a document I use Print - PDF. These are far better for "Documents" than a picture.

(I use Safari) Use Save As... and change the type to Web Archive, this saves all the links and pictures and everything, gives you a live web page.

Or you could Print... click the PDF button and save the page as a PDF, Safari also gives you some extra option when printing.

Reaction score
I have Tiger on a 2003 eMac and using iMac (G3?) board and mouse. Still have my other 03 eMac with Panther, still going strong and has iPhoto which Tiger doesn't automatically include.
Couple of days ago got 2005 eMac with 10.5 Moving up !

Reaction score
Hi Kaveman.. might be getting replies crosswired here but in response to your message regarding Grab, i envy your knowledge. i might not be able to carry out what you have told me but you put forward options and ideas i would never know about.
I can't print myself, i send to 2 other people to print for me and that includes some of your replies.
I am quite clear what i use Grab for, and i still enjoy the fact i read about it and could make it work. A very satisfying click sound.
I always use it for online payments. As you will know no history is kept on the bank site for on-off payments but the other invaluable use i have for it is to screenshot photos when i have rotated them to upright position.
This is something i have written to you about, i was surprised the photos would not stay in the corrected position , was frustrating, you explained why and my way to overcome was to take a shot of the photos in Grab. Would have been stuffed without it.
The other thing it can be useful for is sending a web site ( eg the old Trade a& Exch) to show them what i can see on their site when they said i should be seeing something else.
All in all quite a useful tool.

Reaction score
I quite agree, I have about 300 screensnaps in my folder, thats not counting the ones I've take out and used. It's one of the first things we teach people. I'm a snap happy chappy.

I take them all the time!

Just letting you know there are other options that can also be used. One advantage of the others is that they show up in searches.

also you should be able to make PDFs without a printer, just go into Print and click the PDF button, I also make PDFs a lot and this works for every App that can print. Could be a good way to send thing to get printed.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
i was surprised the photos would not stay in the corrected position , was frustrating, you explained why and my way to overcome was to take a shot of the photos in Grab. Would have been stuffed without it.

I understand where you're coming from there, Aussie, sometimes it's just easier to get the job done in a manner that doesn't result in tremendous brain overload even if there is another more universal method.

Reaction score
I would be interested to know the universal way. My 10.4 doesn't have any photo programme, not like my 10.3 with iPhoto in which , of course, i could rotate photos and keep them in a nice sort of album and whatever. It seems that with Tiger you needed an iLife disc to get iPhoto and the previous owners didn't have it, it had been an office computer. I was disappointed when i realised i didn't have iPhoto.
When i asked the Forum Kaveman explained it and i understood enough and it has also been explained that Preview is a programme that sort of reads the photos and they will rotate but as soon as i try anything else like Save or attach to email they flip back. Stress levels went down when i started taking screenshots. Wasn't looking forward to having many sideways photos nor doing damage to my beloved computer.

Ask a Question