G4 Mac mini version 10.4.11 start up issue

Reaction score
I have an older Mac mini version 10.4.11 processor:1.42 GHz Upgraded 1GB DDR SDRAM.

Recently returning from a 1 month trip abroad, upon initiating start up of my old faithful G4 Mac mini I received a 2 buzzing beep tones and nothing more.

History: About a month prior to my trip I had an issue with a flashing question mark/ folder upon start-up on my screen. After reviewing some of the posts I decided it may have been the death of my hard drive. I reviewed some of the video on installation of new hard drive and even went through a dry run of cracking the case of my trusted old G4 to discover I needed to give her a good vacuuming. Just for a last confirmation I reinstalled he cover and hit the power button and to my amazement she fired right back up. Off to the races!!! At that point I reconfirmed and backed up all my data on an external hard drive and continued to work for the next month with no issues.

Am I screwed is my hard drive finally pouched????:confused:

Possible new solution in review other forums I have run across the following explanations which fits my current status. MY Mac min I count has four flashing power LED sequences or 3 tones as mentioned in the outline I have found listed below. i.e.

The power on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. This test runs whenever the computer is turned on after being fully shut down (the power-on self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal start-up chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below.

1 beep = no RAM installed

2 beeps = incompatible RAM types

3 beeps = no good banks

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

The explaination listed By Tom below is a possible solution where is the battery located on my Mac mini logic board anyone have any video on this?

Tom's solution found on forum

Try Resetting the Logic Board

Resetting the logic board can resolve many system problems. Whenever you have a
unit that fails to power up, you should follow this procedure
before replacing any modules.
1 Unplug the computer.
2 Press the Power On button on the front of the unit.
3 Open the side access panel.
4 Remove the battery from the logic board.
5 Wait at least 10 minutes before replacing the battery.
6 Make sure the battery is installed in the correct +/-
direction.
7 Reassemble the computer and test the unit.

Note:
This procedure resets the computer’s PRAM. Be sure to
check the computer’s time/date and other system parameter settings

Ask a Question