g4 ibook freezes on startup

Reaction score

I have a iBook G4. The computer now always freezes 1- 5 minutes after starting up. When I try to boot from the reinstall cds or hard drive it freezes and the screen goes on to show nothing but full color screens (has anyone seen this before). The screen goes red then goes green, blue white grey, black, etc….. It continues to do this. I have no additional hardware attached and have disconnected my apple extreme card in case this was causing any problems.
I was a couple of times able to get to the reinstall disk before it froze and used First Aid in Disk Utility but it reported no problems.
I have resetted the Pram to no avail
I can’t seem to start in single mode
I have tried to safe boot holding down shift key but can’t get computer to start
I don’t know whether this is a problem with the hard dive or logic board.

This problem seemed to occur after I cleaned various caches and tweaked my computer using some tweaking software.

Reaction score
sorry forgot my manners, would realy appreciate any advice on this matter - don't really want to part with my mac

Reaction score
i dont know much about macs but i think i know enough about macs to know there is probably a corrupted file in the OS so you will need to get the Mac OS install discs that you bought your ibook with and reinstalling it but remember to try and back you data up 1st. If that does not work then there will be a problem with the hardware

Reaction score
sorry ignore that message. it will probably be your logic board as ibook g4 and g3 are known to have problems with the logic board, i wouldn't recommend buying another logic board because that normally costs alot of money so i would recommend just to get a new macbook. sorry i didnt read all of your question before.

Ask a Question