Fonts Won't Install

Reaction score
I'm on Mountain Lion OS X 10.8. I downloaded some free Mac fonts from some online site and they will not install properly. I get a warning message something is wrong with the font, and to proceed with caution.

If I install anyway, the font installs, but all I get are generic "keyboard" icons for the letters. I can install the same fonts on Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 without any issues. I have a friend with an older and newer Mac like myself and ran into the same issues. Installs on an older Mac, but not the newer one.

Reaction score
Hi,

Original by Tenarrows
I'm on Mountain Lion OS X 10.8. I downloaded some free Mac fonts from some online site and they will not install properly.I get a warning message something is wrong with the font, and to proceed with caution.

And

Original by Tenarrows
I can install the same fonts on Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 without any issues.
Sounds like the font package is not comparable with ML, did it specifically state font format.

Please note that ML does not support the font format PostScript Type 3.;) the most common fonts are TrueType, PostScript Type 1, and OpenType.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think there would be an issue with a TrueType font. The site does not stipulate which OS version the font's would work with. Right clicking and getting info only states "TrueType font".

Reaction score
Hi,

Right clicking and getting info only states "TrueType font".
Well these defiantly should be recognised, what application are you trying to use them in?
Also where did you download then from?
If you launch the Font Book application try validating all fonts.

Reaction score
Now days you are probably better off downloading the latest Windows version and let OSX do it thing.

Ask a Question