folder icons

Reaction score
i am trying to change folder icons. the problem is that the .jpg images i want to use show up in the Get Info window by their generic .jpg file icon, rather than by their image. so when i cut-and-paste, the generic .jpg logo becomes the new folder icon. i have "Show icon preview" turned on, so the image files do show their icons correctly on the desktop, but again, when you look at the file in the Get Info window, the icon in the upper left corner is generic, not a preview. Any ideas on how to get this worked out? i am running OS 10.4.9

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
i am trying to change folder icons. the problem is that the .jpg images i want to use show up in the Get Info window by their generic .jpg file icon, rather than by their image. so when i cut-and-paste, the generic .jpg logo becomes the new folder icon. i have "Show icon preview" turned on, so the image files do show their icons correctly on the desktop, but again, when you look at the file in the Get Info window, the icon in the upper left corner is generic, not a preview. Any ideas on how to get this worked out? i am running OS 10.4.9

AFAIK, your .jpg file needs to be an .icn file. I've just had a good look on the web and it wasn't easy to find a definite method for you.

I've settled on the following. It appears that you'll need Pacifist to extract the Mac OS X Developer Tools from your Software & Restore Disc that came with your Mac.

Inside the Developer Tools folder is an app perfect for creating icon files called IconComposer. Then you download icns2icons and dragging your nearly finished icon file onto icns2icons Dock icon.

Sound confusing??? Well here's the link that'll hopefully explain it better:

http://forums.macnn.com/100/software-archives/85734/announcing-icns2icon-1-0b1/

If anyone can come up with a better way then that would be just fantastic!

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. it seemed kind of complicated and i never did get all the way through the sugestions (though i tried). in the meantime, i stumbled on a fix: if the files are converted to .pdf format, the whole thing works just fine. thanks for your help though. appreciate the time you took on this.

Ask a Question