Finding the right enclosure for external drive

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just Spotlight indexing the files on the drive. It will go back to normal when it finishes...probably 15-30 mins at most.

C

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Cooling fan going crazy has been a problem with this machine. I discussed it with Apple for a long time and we finally concluded it might be the fault of the extra RAM I had installed when I bought it. It most often manifests itself when certain sites (CNN.com, TIME.com, others) are pulled up in Firefox. So I panic every time I hear the cooling fans going!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

-Which exact Mac model?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have Adobe Flash installed?
-Which version of Firefox?
-Have you tried Google Chrome?
-Do you have third-party utilities such as MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, anti-virus installed?
-Any browser extensions/plug-ins installed?
-Does it mainly happen on web pages that have Flash or video content?

C

Reaction score
Yeah, I went over all this stuff with Apple. Mac OS 10.11.6. Flash in Firefox (55.0.3) is disabled. This issue doesn't occur in Safari. I have a weird aversion to Chrome. I'm not sure what it is about the sites that tend to cause it -- I think there's some certain kind of programming in them but I don't know if it's Flash or something else.
No third-party utilities. Using YouTube a lot in Firefox does seem to bring about the problem, so I use Safari now to watch YouTube.

Problem also sometimes occurs as a result of leaving the Mac on for a while without using it. Like if I walk away to get lunch or something. That's one reason Apple suspected it was the RAM.

Ask a Question