Finder Troubles

Reaction score
Don't know if I caused this or there is something wrong but I'll try to explain it as best as possible. Yesterday afternoon was using my computer and I have my dock set to auto hide and auto appear. Well the first icon on my dock is the finder (little picture of the mac guy face in blue and grey) well the past two days when I open something on the dock or i minimize a web page to the dock it increases in size as normal but after I close that program or page the finder icon is frozen off of the dock and is on top of everything in the bottom corner of the page. You can't click on it and its just kinda there. Isn't hurting anything other than getting on my nerves. any help would be greatly appreciated

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you could delete the Dock and Finder Preference files to see if that helps...

In the Finder, under the Go menu click the go to folder menu...

and type in

/Users/computer/Library/Preferences

replace 'computer' with your username.

This will open your preferences folder.

The Dock preference file is called...

com.apple.dock.plist

The Finder preference file is called...

com.apple.finder.plist

Throw these two files in the trash and the restart...

See if that helps, you will have to re apply your Dock settings after.

Could you give us a screen grab of what it looks like...it might be easier for us to work out what's wrong...just add it as an attachment to a post.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
id be more than happy to give a screen grab if i knew how to LOL...if someone would let me know how to do it ill get one on here asap

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I have been so busy that I completely ignored the problem all together for a while. Fixed it with the suggested method above and then a day or two ago it came back and used the same method tonight to fix it. Was finally able to get a screen grab and host it so I could post up what it is doing. I can't figure out any pattern to this and what might be causing it to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Picture1.png

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic Andy, it makes it a lot easier to see what you see...

...I'll have a think tomorrow, bit late now !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question