External Monitors Alternatives??

Reaction score
I’m going to get the new MacBook once it’s released but in the meantime I need a solution ASAP. I have a Dell Precision 7730 laptop which has great power for editing, but the color is HORRIBLE. It is way too saturated and nothing like my past macs. I’m a video editor so color REALLY matters. Every time I see rendered videos on my iPhone, I cringe because it’s just so off.

I've contacted dell customer support multiple times, read through countless forums on tweaking display settings, and calibrated with a Color Munki with no success do desaturate the thing. I'm throwing in the towel and deciding to buy an external monitor just for color grading.

Does anyone have a Mac look alike external monitor they'd suggest that looks like Mac's colors? I have a thunderbolt 3, mini display port, and HDMI 2.0 for plugging the monitor into. Would like something under $1k since I won’t be using this setup for very long. It doesn’t even have to be 4K, I just desperately want good colors if that’s even possible .

Thanks in advance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There are numerous external monitors that have good color calibration out of the box. Of course, they cost quite a bit more than standard monitors. Several design/graphics websites have reviews of displays that are good for color work. Of course, a hardware color calibration system will get you the most accurate color, but they can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars alone.

LG, ViewSonic, BenQ, and Dell all make very color accurate displays.

Here is an example article: BEST MONITOR FOR PHOTO EDITING

It all depends on budget, connection type, size, and personal preference.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question