Excel ate my file!

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I'm new here. This is my first post. I'm at my wits' end. I'm hoping one of you brilliant people can help me with this, I'm not a noob, but this has me stumped.

So, I was working on a new spreadsheet, entering data for about 4 hours. Of course, I saved the file about every 15 minutes. Then Excel started acting weird. Like, if I would do an A to Z sort, it would not keep the names of the rows in their proper rows. I decided just to close out and reboot and try again. I went to quit, and Excel asked me if I wanted to save the file. I said no since I just saved it 5 minutes before.

However, when I went to try to find the file under "recently opened" the file was nowhere to be found. I searched the entire harddrive for the file name and some of the content. I came up with nothing. It's like the whole thing has just disappeared.

Is there some way I can see--- maybe via the Mac, not Excel-- what my history of actions were? Or is there somewhere I can find the file that I'm missing? Like in a temp folder or something?

This is a very bad situation. I lost a lot of work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-GregB

PS I'm using Excel 14.6.6 for Mac 2011 and Sierra 10.12.6

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What file name and location were you saving the file to at 15 minute increments?
-Is that document not there?

C

Ask a Question