Empty Trash issue

Reaction score
i keep getting an error message "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Macintosh HD” is in use." The file in the trash is :
2017-05-28-162629
Macintosh HD which when I click to get info is located at /Volumes/My Passport for Mac/.Trashes/501

Mac hd file still located in normal place. So this appears to be an old back up file that is trying to be deleted which was created May 2017. I have recent backups so deleting is ok but again get the error message stated in beginning of tis message.

Any help for a non tech type guy is appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Do you get the error if the My Passport is not connected?
-Maybe Spotlight is indexing the My Passport, or it could be a corrupted/unfinished Time Machine backup?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. Here is info as I understand from your questions. I am not a tech person so have limited knowledge. Your patience is appreciated.

Operating Sysyem MAC Mid 2011 High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Backing up thru Time Machine Automatic
Have not unplugged Passport due to unsure what will happen and don't want to lose current backup
Spotlight comment...again not a tech person so I do not understand what is you are asking/saying

Someone else asked me the questions below....
Am I able to transfer data manually ? no clue what you are asking not a tech type person
What is the file system of My Passport for Mac …no clue what you are asking

Screen shots attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.28.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.28.06 AM.png
    25 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.27.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.27.03 AM.png
    24 KB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    34 KB · Views: 161

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for the additional information.

Spotlight is a process that reads your drives and indexes there contents so you can search for files. If it is currently indexing in the background, drives will be reported as in use until it finishes. Sometimes they can get stuck in this state.

I assume the second photo represents the only items in the Trash, correct? Is Time Machine still working?

You could try the following:
-Restart the Mac and see if that allows the Trash to empty
-If not, power off your Mac
-Unplug the My Passport drive
-Power on the Mac and see if there is anything in the Trash
-You can then plug the My Passport in
-Wait a few minutes and see if the Trash will empty

C

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory. I was able to locate the backup files on passport thru finder. Interesting note is they are gone from the passport files. So going to try to restart and see what happens with passport unplugged

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory. I was able to locate the backup files on passport thru finder. Interesting note is they are gone from the passport files. So going to try to restart and see what happens with passport unplugged

Tried unplugging passport, shutting down Mac and restarting. With passport unplugged nothing in trash. Plugeed back in and they are in trash. hit empty trash, and continue and starting deleting items ( thousands of items) Stopped the process becayse not sure what was being deleted. any suggestions

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good. That seemed to fix the "in use" error.

When you went to empty the Trash, from your screenshots, it was a full backup from 05-28-2017, and one started 07-09-2019. That would have tens of thousands of files, since it was a complete backup of your entire Macintosh HD.

If you want to be safe, trigger a Time Machine backup, then empty the trash when it is complete.

C

Ask a Question