Trash Wont Empty After Time Machine

Reaction score
ive never used time machine i just use my external hard drive

i turned it on the other day, i dont need it, turned it off, and threw the backup file out

i cant empty the trash, i get errors

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.08.51 PM.png

ive tried this but it didnt work

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201583

time machine is off

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.21.03 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.08.51 PM.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.08.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.08.55 PM.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 427
Reaction score
Your post is a little confusing with the wording, so I'll try and sort it out.

1. You state "ive never used time machine i just use my external hard drive". What do you use the external drive for?

2. According to that screen shot of the external 2 TB drive, the oldest Time Machine backup was done on July 2, 2017, but the latest backup was done "today at 9:12 am". By today, I assume that means today, July 4th. Is that correct?

3. You state "i turned it on the other day, i dont need it, turned it off, and threw the backup file out". Did the turning on of Time Machine happen on July 2nd? Also, if you did turn it off, when exactly did you do that? Apparently another backup was done earlier today.

I am certainly no Time Machine "expert", and in fact have never, never used it (I use SuperDuper! for my backups). But if that July 4th date is correct, then it seems that Time Machine is not turned off. One has to wonder when Time Machine is turned on, what are the default "options", and especially how frequently backups are done. From the screen shot above, it looks like at least two backups have been made.

Reaction score
whatever your argument is with yourself there, i need the trash to empty

can someone help

Reaction score
whatever your argument is with yourself there, i need the trash to empty

can someone help

I am not arguing with myself. Your wording is just confusing. Instead of saying something inappropriate (I can also characterize it another way, but for now, I won't), it would be best to answer the questions I asked. But if you don't want my help, fine. I have better things to do than to hear such cr*p from someone that does not appreciate assistance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am stepping in to stop this before it gets out of hand. I will only ask once.

As for the issue - is there anything on the external drive that you need? Have you tried unmounting the drive, disconnecting it, restarting the Mac, reconnecting it, then attempting to empty the trash?

C

Reaction score
the external has been disconnected, the computer has been restarted

the trash wont empty and those are the prompts i get

ive restarted and tried to empty the trash but i still get the prompts and wont empty

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If there isn't anything else on the external, you could just use Disk Utility to erase it and bypass the Trash issue. If there is, then we'll look into it further.

Your second screenshot above shows an error including Macintosh HD - is that still happening as well?
screen-shot-2017-07-04-at-6-08-55-pm-png.2303

C

Reaction score
how can i use Disk Utility to erase it and bypass the Trash issue

i havent emptied the trash again i know itll just be the same

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
***NOTE: As mentioned previously, make sure you have no files/data you want to save on the hard drive named Attie, as all files, including the Time Machine files and Trash from that drive, will be lost if you erase the drive.

-Double-check - your internal drive is named Macintosh HD and the external is name Attie, correct?
-Launch Disk Utility
-Click once on Attie on the left side of the window to highlight it
-Click the Erase button
-Name the drive
-Select Format: OS X Entended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partition Map
-Click Erase and follow instructions
-Choose NOT to use this drive for Time Machine if prompted

Again - ALL files will be lost.

The Time Machine backups you put in the Trash and were having issues emptying should now be gone. Open the Trash and see what is left in there, if anything.

C

Reaction score
I am stepping in to stop this before it gets out of hand. I will only ask once.

Hmm, try and help someone, and I get "bashed". Obviously a complete of my time. Thus, I will only say this once: I will never provide any advice/assistance, etc. to this user.

Ask a Question