Ejecting an...App?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a bran ne Mac user and I've just installed SideEffects 1.8.7 (brings back colours to the sidebar icons).

The app worked fine but now I see it in Devices (sidebar) and on my Desktop.

I don't want to see it on my Desktop nor on my Devices but I still wanna use it. So can I eject it from the sidebar eject button? Would that also remove it from my Desktop or I'd need to do it manually (Move to Trash)? And what would happen if I eject/delete it, would the app stop working and probably mess my Mac up since I wouldn't be uninstalling it properly?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Reaction score
UPDATE!

Oh! Never mind, I dared click on that "Eject" button and the App icon disappeared from my sidebar and dekstop but my sidebar icons are still colourful! :D

Reaction score
It was just a disk image with a custom icon.

If you are new to the Mac, be careful what "Utilities" and stuff you install into the operating system. The modern OS is a finely balance and tuned conglomerate of software. So of these toys are easy to install and near impossible to uninstall, big job if they go wrong.

Also ensure you are not working day to day from your Admin Account.

Reaction score
It was just a disk image with a custom icon.

If you are new to the Mac, be careful what "Utilities" and stuff you install into the operating system. The modern OS is a finely balance and tuned conglomerate of software. So of these toys are easy to install and near impossible to uninstall, big job if they go wrong.

Also ensure you are not working day to day from your Admin Account.

Hey! Thanks for your reply :)

Before switching to Mac I was a Windows geek (intermediate level), so I have a slight idea of what can damage my computer. I'm trying to be careful while discovering this new iOS.

And I have my personal Admin account, which I use for everyday, and a root Admin account.

The App does come with an Uninstaller btw ;)

Reaction score
Unless you have a very good reason change your every day account to Standard. The added security is worth it.

You should not need to log into the Admin account, just have it there. If you are mucking with your OS or Installing stuff entering the Admin Account name and password will give you time to reflect, "do you really want to do this".

There are very few reasons to run as Admin, this is Unix after all...

Reaction score
Unless you have a very good reason change your every day account to Standard. The added security is worth it.

You should not need to log into the Admin account, just have it there. If you are mucking with your OS or Installing stuff entering the Admin Account name and password will give you time to reflect, "do you really want to do this".

There are very few reasons to run as Admin, this is Unix after all...

So you're saying that, unlike Windows, I don't need to constantly be on an Admin account?

And what advantages do I get from being on a Standard user account? :)

Reaction score
So you're saying that, unlike Windows, I don't need to constantly be on an Admin account?

And what advantages do I get from being on a Standard user account? :)
Exactly

Many of the basic assumptions we have from our Windows days are simply wrong. That is the hardest part of moving to the Mac, finding those sneaky assumptions.

The main advantage is it makes for a nice safe learning environment. You can mess around in your Standard Account and know you're always going to get back into your Mac no matter what you do.

BUT every time you enter the Admin Username and Password, you know "This could be creating a real problem" that maybe I can't fix. YMMV.

Reaction score
Exactly

Many of the basic assumptions we have from our Windows days are simply wrong. That is the hardest part of moving to the Mac, finding those sneaky assumptions.

The main advantage is it makes for a nice safe learning environment. You can mess around in your Standard Account and know you're always going to get back into your Mac no matter what you do.

BUT every time you enter the Admin Username and Password, you know "This could be creating a real problem" that maybe I can't fix. YMMV.

Thanks! :)

I've just read an article explaining the advantage of being on a Standard rather than on an Admin account.

I'll search further and then make my account Standard.

Also, I have a question: is the "root" Admin enough or should I make ANOTHER Admin account (in addition to my Standard account of course)?

Reaction score
Also, I have a question: is the "root" Admin enough or should I make ANOTHER Admin account (in addition to my Standard account of course)?
Do you mean the one that you made when setting up the Mac, it does not come with "root" enabled and you have to do some Terminal wizardry to turn that on?

Reaction score
Do you mean the one that you made when setting up the Mac, it does not come with "root" enabled and you have to do some Terminal wizardry to turn that on?

I did do some "wizardry" to get to use that root Admin account, and no, it's not the acc. I used when I first set up my Mac :3

Ask a Question