E-mail problem

Reaction score
I seem to be having a rather severe problem with my Mail on the MacBook. It's pretty simple: I try to open it, and it does open but immediately crashes. That's it, really.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe someone sent me some e-mail that's crashing the app, but how can I fix the problem if the app won't even stay open?

I'm using a MacBook and running OSX 10.4.10.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Laurah, Oddly enough this happened to me a few weeks back. A friend sent a Microsoft Power Point file to my Comcast account that crashed the Mail app. So, instead of using the Mail app, I went to the Comcast mail page, downloaded the file, deleted the email and I was back in business. If after doing this and the Mail app still doesn't work, if you go to your Home Folder/Library/Mail you'll see folders that have the names of your email accounts. Inside these folders are (of course) more folders called Deleted Messages, Drafts, INBOX, etc. Now, inside these folders are (You guessed it!) more folders that are called Messages. Inside the Messages Folders are files (I'll bet that you were expecting more folders,Lol!) with a .emix and .emixpart extension. Locate the troublesome file (.emix and .emixpart) and delete it or feel free to delete them all. WARNING:MAKE SURE THAT YOU ONLY DELETE THE .EMIX AND .EMIXPART FILES LOCATED IN THE MESSAGES FOLDER. After completing these steps I recommend cleaning your mail cache, repairing permissions and rebooting. If indeed it was a nasty email that caused the problem this should solve it. It works on my eMac. Good luck!:)

Reaction score
Hi and welcome
what I usually do in these circumstances is first of all panic then
1: restart the computer and try again
2: go to Disk Utility in /applications/utilities and repair permissions
if that doesn't work delete the offending email and ask the user to resend
icon7.gif

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
To solve problems with crashing apps, try emptying the font cache:

MacintoshHD/Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS

and the mail cache:

YourHomeDirectory/Library/Caches/Mail

Drag everything in these folders to the Trash and restart and see if that makes a difference. Don't empty the Trash until you are perfectly sure everything is fine.

Ask a Question