Mail problem.

Reaction score
I recently noticed that on my iMac if I go to Mail>preferences. I get a blank message box. As below.
iMac.jpg

However on my MacBookPro I get the proper response.
MBP.jpg

Both machine are High Sierra (10.13.3) and both are running mail 11.2
Anyone have any ideas on a cause or a solution?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saw a similar problem on Apple support pages, with this as the solution.

Go to ~/User/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/
Select all three items in this folder: Data, New . . . , Container.plist
With 3 items selected, Right Click. Choose Create New Folder from Selections (3)
Reboot.

Sorted :)

Reaction score
Cool! It is somewhat "disturbing", though, that a number of folks have various issues with Apple's Mail program. I use Outlook 2016 (and Outlook 2011 before that), and I have never had any issues with either of them. And I also have the software installed on both of my Macs.

Reaction score
It looks like there was a corrupted file in the com.apple.mail folder. I do have outlook 2016 on the iMac and the MBP, but mail had been working fine till now. I will monitor the situation for a while then if it re-occurs I may switch to Outlook.

Reaction score
Understand. But it's disturbing to see so many folks have so many varied problems with Apple's Mail program, but I rarely (if ever) see any reports of issues with Outlook 2016 (or Thunderbird for that matter, although I don't know how many folks "around here" use it). Also, I always quit ANY program I use when I am done.

Of course, I make a concerted effort to always keep up with updates for any of the software I use. I have made posts whenever a new update for Office 2016 comes out (or like recently, when there were updates for only Word 2016, Excel 2016, and PowerPoint 2016). I really wonder if such information is helpful, and that folks are applying such updates (when applicable of course).

Oh, and the other thing I consistently do is to have any unneeded deleted EMails permanently removed, so as to not clutter up Outlook 2016's database. (In actuality, just about every EMail I delete gets permanently removed). Again, I want to keep my Macs "lean, mean, and clean".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always keep my software up to date, I sometimes hold off if there is a problem reported and wait till a fix comes around. To be fair to mail this is the first problem I have had and I may not have noticed it if I had not needed to look at the preferences.

Reaction score
That's good that keep up to date with your software. And while it is OK that this is the first time you have had issues with Apple's Mail program, I have seen so many posts here by numerous folks who have had various issues with the program.

Ask a Question