DVD/disc drawer won't open

Reaction score
I put a DVD in my machine in order to install a new program. The disc install icon never came on the screen, and I am unable to eject the disc despite doing all the suggestions under the Mac Help page. I then went to open my Disc Player (Version 4.6.5) which was included with my install discs, but an error message came up:

There was an initialization error
A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

So nothing I can do to get that disc drawer to open? I called a local Mac place, and they thought it may be that I need a new DVD drive installed, but would take them over a week to do this. Is there anything I can do? Below is information on my computer.

Thanks,

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f1

Reaction score
Hi Larry and welcome.
This may sound a bit daft but
a Have you just tried restarting your Mac?
b tried to locate the disk in your dvd drive from the disk utility application
at user/applications/utilities?
c restarting holding down the mouse button durring start up prceedure?

Rgaards
Teapot

Reaction score
Thanks Teapot. Yes, I tried all those things. On the utility, since the disc doesn't show up on the desktop, there is nothing to click and to eject. I even went to that FIRMWARE startup and typed in eject CD and it still doesn't open.

Reaction score
Hi
do you have toast?
do you have any repair applications such as disk warrior?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

try opening iTunes and ejecting the disk from there...iTunes sometimes see's disks that other's don't...

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I know it's not showing up/mounting, but you can sometimes open iTunes or DVD Player and hit the eject button in those apps to open the tray.

Reaction score
That was my next idea Ric Honest
icon9.gif

Ric

Reaction score
Looks like we were all thinking the same thing at the same time !!!

;-)

Ric

Reaction score
...my next one would be Screwdriver and pliers... (only for the brave !)

;-)

Reaction score
I just went to ITunes and tried the eject button, but no luck. I need a pint too!
For the old days when you could put a pin into a hole and the drawer would open!

Ric

Reaction score
Depending on the drive...the button is still there, it's just hidden behind the front case of your Mac.

If you are careful and open the covering door then you may be able to see it...then give it a prod with a paperclip.

Or power down, and take the drive out...so that you can get to the button.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks.
I didn't even know that door slides so easily down. Yes, I shut down my computer, slip the door down and with a paper clip, got the disc out. I then restarted, and reset the PRAM, but I still can't open the tray with the top right hand keyboard key. No icon or anything, and when I go to my DVD application, it still says error as I posted in my first message. I guess I need a new DVD player installed. But I only wonder why the drawer doesn't at least open for a CD, or is the DVD and CD player the same?
But many thanks, at least I got the DVD out!

Reaction score
A friend suggested I go to my System folder (on the hard drive)
Open Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras
Option-drag the Eject.menu to my desktop double-click that file.
Now I have an eject menu icon on my top menu bar. Click that
to open the CD tray. But when I click that icon, it says NO DRIVES. So I guess my DVD-CD is somehow broken.

Ask a Question