Docking station.

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports).

I would like a docking station, which is compatible with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports), and I would like to use it for transferring all the data from 3 external hardrives(4TB of data, 2TB of data and 2TB of data, all together 8 TB of Data) to a temporary storage device from IDrive(It's part of a service called IDrive express, where you receive a temporary storage device from IDrive, and then transfer your data to the temporary storage device and then resend it to IDrive who then upload your data from the temporary storage device and into the cloud).

Any Suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Several questions to help form the best response:
-As I understand iDrive Express, you use their software to make a backup of all your data onto a drive they supply, then send it back to them for your initial upload to their cloud-based backup service, correct?
-Sounds like it may need all drives connected simultaneously to create the backup, so you would need four drives connected - your three and the iDrive, correct?
-Because your MBP only has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, you cannot connect them without some form of hub, correct?
-Which brand/model are your three external hard drives, and what kind of connections do they have?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-As I understand iDrive Express, you use their software to make a backup of all your data onto a drive they supply, then send it back to them for your initial upload to their cloud-based backup service, correct?
-Sounds like it may need all drives connected simultaneously to create the backup, so you would need four drives connected - your three and the iDrive, correct?
-Because your MBP only has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, you cannot connect them without some form of hub, correct?
-Which brand/model are your three external hard drives, and what kind of connections do they have?

C

Yes,you understand IDrive Express correctly.
I don't know if it needs to have all drives connected simultaneously to create the backup, but if that is the case, then yes, I would need 4 drives connected at once(actually 5(since I have 4 external harddrives).
Correct, I would need some sort of hub(I already have one, but I'm not sure it's powerfull enough to do the job, although it has 4 USB ports, it's a 'USB C to USB 4-Port Hub').
I have a WD, I think its MyBook and then some others where I can't remember the name and model and I can't really check out which branded/model they are, since I'm out of town at the moment, sorry.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

C

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

If they are all standard USB, then a powered USB hub would probably suffice. Upon your return home, let us know the additional details and we can go from there.

Safe travels,

C

Ask a Question