on one of them i have a folder called 'jobs'
within 'jobs' i have many folders allocated to customers
within customer folders i have individual job folders
i have set 'jobs' to be read/write for all users on my network
i have applied permissions to all sub folders

here is the problem

when i create a new folder it is set to default read only permissions

how can i get all new folders to inherit permissions from the 'jobs' folder

if i was to change permissions on every new folder i create it would waste ALOT of my time

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
You should be logging into the "jobs" computer with the login on the "jobs" computer. Then it will have the correct permissions.

I hope they are not Admin Accounts you are working in, they should Standard Accounts with a separate Admin Account.

Reaction score
i am admin on both computers and i have the "jobs" computer switched on and logged in. i can access the folders from the other computers but when i make a new folder within "jobs" it has the old read only permissions

Reaction score
can't get much wronger.

You need not "Access" the jobs folder from the other computer, you should log into the other computer.

Reaction score
i am not the only person working with jobs in the jobs folder. we are not working on the same files at the same time but we both need access to all the jobs in the folder

Reaction score
That makes no difference.

If you wish to solve the problem, each person who is accessing the folder needs to log into that computer with the local User Name and Password or how will the OS know what permissions to give the files and folders?

Reaction score
I feel something may be getting lost in communication here.
The attached picture shows the permissions for the 'jobs' folder
in my current configuration shown in the picture all users on my network are able to access the folder and add and delete files and folders to it. but when a new folder is added within 'jobs' the permissions are automatically set to read only to whoever has made the folder wether it is made on my computer or not.

all i want to do is configure it so that when a folder is made within 'jobs' it has the same permissions as 'jobs'.

if this is not possible then i may aswell be working on windows

sorry for the blasphemy.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-21 at 13.23.38.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-21 at 13.23.38.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
You are missing this.

When a Mac writes a file it gets the permissions from the Mac writing the file NOT from the Folder it is being written to! All you have done is allow those Users to write to that folder. But when they do the File WILL have the permissions from the Mac that made the file.

All you have to do is log into the Mac, it's not a big deal. Connect, enter the User Name and Password and bingo problem solved. This is how Unix file permissions works.

IF this is on an External Drive you can Get Info on the drive and click Ignore ownership on this volume.

OR you can set up a Server, this is what servers can do, BUT you'll still need to Connect and Login to the Server.

This is Security! its meant to work like this.

I'm sorry I can say it any clearer.

Ask a Question