Disk not showing on desktop.

Reaction score
I'm sure you all have had this question a 1000 times, so thank you for your patience. I am on an iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1.

I have an external 2 gig Seagate drive that I use for backup which I keep unmounted/unplugged unless I'm doing a backup. I just plugged it in so CCC can do a backup and it doesn't show-up on the desktop or the finder. It does appear in Disk Utility. I can mount/unmount or anything else in Disk Utility but nowhere else. I recently reset NVRAM, but I have done that in the past and the disk still showed-up.

Thanks for any help,
Bob

Reaction score
I'm sure you all have had this question a 1000 times, so thank you for your patience. I am on an iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1.

I have an external 2 gig Seagate drive that I use for backup which I keep unmounted/unplugged unless I'm doing a backup. I just plugged it in so CCC can do a backup and it doesn't show-up on the desktop or the finder. It does appear in Disk Utility. I can mount/unmount or anything else in Disk Utility but nowhere else. I recently reset NVRAM, but I have done that in the past and the disk still showed-up.

Thanks for any help,
Bob
From Finder, select Settings (⌘ ,) and from General, under Show these items on the dosktop:, click the check box for the items that you want to show up on the desktop. In your case, try “Hard disks” or “External disks.”

You can also see the list of attached volumes with, again from Finder, ⌘-⇧-C, or from the menu, Go > Computer, and a window will open with all of the volumes available to you.

Reaction score
I don't see my reply, so I will try it again.

I have already tried Settings, I've turned-off and on all of the settings. I have searched online and done everything they have suggested, including running Disk Utility against it. I plugged it in and ran a CCC backup with no problem. I then tried to unmounted it using the Disk Utility. It would not dismount and when I unplugged it the iMac gave me the standard error message. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I don't see my reply, so I will try it again.

I have already tried Settings, I've turned-off and on all of the settings. I have searched online and done everything they have suggested, including running Disk Utility against it. I plugged it in and ran a CCC backup with no problem. I then tried to unmounted it using the Disk Utility. It would not dismount and when I unplugged it the iMac gave me the standard error message. Any ideas?
Not a good idea to unplug it while connected to the Mac. You should have shut down before disconnecting it.

It looks more and more like there is something wrong with the drive. I recommend finding a way to make a second backup to another drive so you don’t lose your existing data (although your present Seagate drive might already be corrupted from unplugging while connected. If you feel confident about it, try reformatting the drive, as plain vanilla APFS, then do your CCC backup again.

Ask a Question