Disk Image Problem

Reaction score
Just getting to grips with a mac after transferring over from a pc.
I've bought a second-hand imac (os x lion) and have installed various programmes without any problem apart from one. It's a Photo Album software program that downloaded as a dmg onto my desktop.
I can open it up to view the installer icon and double click to install but just as it begins to install it stops and states 'file can't be created'. I've tried reloading it and downloading the software again but to no avail.
I've also drag & dropped it into the apps folder but the same thing happens.
Having read various online help forums regards 'disk image' problems, I'm still no clearer as to what to do to resolve the matter.
Please help!
Jo

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Original by geneva
It's a Photo Album software program
Firstly can I ask what software you are referring to?

Sometimes the file won't completely download and it will appear as a complete .dmg but actually won't be. Try re-downloading the file again to make sure you have the complete file. If it is incomplete or corrupted it will fail to open the .dmg.

EDIT:

Just a thought, be sure your Disk Image files are set to open with the correct program in this case, DiskImageMounter. To check this, highlight the disk image file and press (Command + I) to Get Info. In the Open with section, if DiskImageMounter is not selected, choose it and click Change All

Reaction score
Hi,

After you have re downloaded the .DMG just run through this procedure once more.

1) Double-click the .DMG file to open it up.
2) Another new icon with a name similar to the .DMG file will appear on your desktop.
3) If a new Finder window doesn’t automatically appear, double click on the new icon that has appeared on your desktop.
4) A Finder window should appear.
5) Locate your application’s icon within this new Finder window.
6) Drag and drop it into your “Applications” directory.

Also are you in Geneve as your user name.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. No I'm not in Geneva but love the place!
I've tried reloading it again but still the same problem. The software is from this website that is an album supplier in the uk http://www.gfsmithphotomount.co.uk/tutorials.htm
II've also tried the other suggestion (Command + I) but can't see where the 'open with' section is. I've attached a link with two screen shots if this helps. The 1st is what I get when I tried to install and the other is what I get for the 'get info'.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96650105@N06/

Reaction score
Hi,

As far as I can see the link you gave is the only place you can download this software from. Ask one question when you open the DMG file sitting in you downloads folder do you see a image like this?

Attachments

• finder-window.png
    finder-window.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok so
1) You mount the DMG on your desktop.
2) You open it.
3) There is an installer file so you run this.

A) Do you ever get to a point where it asks for your password?
B) What account are you logged into while trying to install?

EDIT:

So you see this type of installer.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 358
Reaction score
No its never asked for a password. When I run the installer it starts to run for about 4 seconds then the image I posted previously that states it 'can't create a file' appears.
The account I'm logged into is the admin account.

Reaction score
Hi Jo,

You are doing everything correctly and because of this.
When I run the installer it starts to run for about 4 seconds

I go back to my first post and feel that there are issues with the installer, Personally I would contact the softwares support and ask for a direct download explaining the issue and ask which OS X there software needs to run.

Must ask did you pay for this software?

Reaction score
I'll contact them and ask if they can help with the matter.The software is free to download.
I've uploaded it without any hassle onto my pc so clearly it's just an issue with the mac.
Thank you kindly for trying to assist.
Jo

Reaction score
Hi Jo,

Think my screen shots say it all, the installer ran fine:) but I did not complete the install because I have my security set not to install from unidentified developers.;)

So am a little baffled as to why this does not work for you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.png
    2.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 4.png
    4.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 5.png
    5.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 270
Reaction score
have just let it run and the software installed fine. So now just have to remove it.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 12.16.00.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 12.16.00.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 12.16.13.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 12.16.13.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
Hi Jo,

One thought, have you got Java turned off in safaris preferences > security? If not then turn it off and run the installer again.

Ask a Question