Dial-up question

Reaction score
I am taking a cruise next week on a Celebrity ship. They claim to have internet access from the staterooms, but from what I can deduce it appears that it is some sort of dial-up system that requires Windows to use. This seems odd to me, but I'm wondering if my Mac Book Pro will work in this environment. I haven't tried to use a dial-up conncection for some years now. Does anyone know if there is any sort of internal modem on my computer that would make this connection possible?

Reaction score
Hey abbiehoff!

Your MacBook Pro doesn NOT have a modem. You need to purchase a USB modem from apple. Here is a link. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...TY6ky2jKBHTn1ngf46Xd/7.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3

Also, I do find that odd that you they only offer dial up internet. IMHO, most cruise ships should have wireless capabilities. I have never been on a cruise before, so I can't say. While it won't be a landline broadband connection (DSL, cable) it will be Satellite broadband. As far as I know, celebrity ships are expensive, so you would think that they'd have wireless for their customers. If it's dial-up, I will be suprised. As far as your MacBook and dial-up is concerned, it should be ok. I don't see a problem. Just make sure you get the right phone numbers, ISP name, and stuff like that before you head out. Have fun!!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Is this a vacation or work ?

If it's a vacation, leave it behind ! ;-)

If you have to take it, then the best people to ask are the Cruise people.

It does seem odd though. I would presume that have some sort of Satellite Internet connection !

As searay345 say's you will need a modem, and I presume all the login info will come from them ?

Have fun !

What's a "Celebrity Ship" ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I did try to talk to the cruise ship people, but no one seemed to know anything. I have a hard time imagining an internet connection that requires Windows.
Whatever, I guess I'll purchase a modem.

Celebrity is the cruise line. The ship is called Infinity. The cruise is vacation, but my husband is an internet addict and can't get along for 10 days without e-mail and eBay.

Ric

Reaction score
...ahh thanks for that I thought it was a 'Famous ship' ;-)

Computer Addicts Anonymous is there such a thing ?

Maybe we should all join...

Hello my name is Ric and I am a Computeraholic...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
CELEBRITY CRUISES

Celebrity Cruises' ships offer Internet access and shipboard e-mail services in cyber cafes that feature up to 18 workstations and are open 24/7. Internet access is available in each stateroom on Millennium, Infinity, Summit and Constellation for guests who bring their own laptop computers. Additionally, select vessels feature Wi-Fi hotspots.

There you go...

He can spend his time in the cyber cafe...

;-)

Reaction score
LOL. My name is Searay, and I am a computeraholic!

Thanks for that info Ric! Now when I go on a cruise, I know what company to go through LOL!

Ask a Question