Attachment dialogue box

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A little more info is needed:

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which application are you using - Mail, web browser?
-What is your display resolution set to?

C

Reaction score
I Mac Desktop 2 yr old, Sierra 10.12

Mail I think

Display resolution is "default for display"

Sounds like you could help this little old lady...please!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Could you please upload a screenshot?

Shift Command () 4 will turn the mouse cursor into a crosshair, then you click & hold to drag around the area you wish to capture. When you release the mouse you should hear a camera sound. The resulting screen capture should be saved to your Desktop. Use the "Upload a File" button here to attach the picture to your reply.

Reaction score
Spawn - thanks for explaining how to do a screen shot! Here is the attachment dialogue box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.34.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.34.06 AM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
It looks like you are on this "site":

https://mail.up.edu/owa/auth/logon.aspx?replaceCurrent=1&url=https://mail.up.edu/owa/

for The University of Portland, using the Outlook Web App. Never used that myself, as I have Outlook 2016 for my Macs.

Also, if you "just" have the initial version of Sierra, OS 10.12, it has been updated 4 times. You can get the OS 10.12.4 Combo Updater form here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1910?locale=en_US

Not sure, though, if it will address your issue, as this seems to be more "tied" to that site.

Reaction score
Correct, I am on Univ of Portland mail; have had it since 1995. Why would attachment box size be more "tied" to the mail site? It wasn't a problem before Sierra. Are you saying that I need to update Sierra now?

Reaction score
You are trying to attach that document to an EMail on that site. Unless I am missing something, you are not using an application "directly" on your Mac for doing that.

One thing you did not mention is how long this issue has been going on. If it is recent, but worked with OS 10.12 before, then it is something to do with the software on that site. Again, you seem to be using the Outlook Web App "via" that site. This link explains a little about such an app:

https://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/email/tasks/clients/owa.html

I am just not familiar with that app/interface/method of "connecting/using" that site. (I used to teach part-time at a couple of local community colleges, and even doing from home, I did not have such EMail issues as you are having).

An update to OS 10.12.4 will not necessarily guarantee a fix for this issue, but as a general rule, it is always best to keep current with the OS and/or any third party applications you are using.

So, the first question is, when did this issue first arise?

Reaction score
We took desktop to a MAC person to upgrade softwear and do a "clean up" of machine about 3 weeks ago. He upgraded us to something, maybe Yosemite - then a week later, there was a message to update, so my husband did and it gave us Sierra 10.12. Prior to all of this the dialogue box worked perfectly. I guess I didn't understand that the dialogue box came from my UP email, rather than from the softwear. I can call university Monday and ask if they have an answer.

Reaction score
It would be good to know the details of those upgrades:

1. What exactly did that person do regarding a "clean up"?

2. What OS was on the machine prior to ?Yosemite?? And how long had you been using that OS?

3. How was the upgrade done? Was it a "clean, fresh, virgin" installation of that newer OS (unsure if it was Yosemite), or was it an upgrade in place?

4. I suspect the upgrade to Sierra was done "in place". If that's the way the prior upgrade was done, that can cause issues. Too much upgrading "in place", versus a clean, fresh installation, is not good.

5. If you use any third party software, it most likely needed to be upgraded also, to be compatible with the newer OS.

6. How exactly are you getting to that University of Portland site? Are you using Safari?

7. Are you making backups to an external device? That is crucial.

Good luck with trying to get useful information from the folks at the IT department for the school. In most instances, they know very little, if anything, about Macs. A "remote" possibility is that the software on that site is not compatible with Sierra (and, it seems, with the OS that the Mac person upgraded your machine to) and/or the version of the browser you are using (that's why I asked in question 6 above). It would be best if you find out from that individual the answers to the first three questions I mentioned above. That also could help when you call the school's IT department.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you resize that window to reveal more information & possibly that Attach button?

Once you have selected the attachment you wish to send have you tried pressing the Return key or if no luck, the Spacebar?

Otherwise, at login you could select to use the "Lite" version of Outlook?

Ask a Question