Dial Up setting not working

Reaction score
As title suggests i connect by dial up. This morning i forgot to disconnect the connection and when i arrived home it had been on for 5 hours. Hours are unlimited so that's ok but i had enabled a setting that says it will disconnect after 30 minutes if idle, it appears this didn't work and i don't know why. I had quit mail, and the browser, and didn't have anything else open. Also the option to connect automatically if needed was disabled....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...that's a strange one.

I will have to research that a little.

In the mean time, you could try resetting PRAM and repairing disk permissions, then testing it.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for response. I have read about resetting the PRAM but don't fully understand and so am unlikely to do it. The problem probably isn't important enough to become too involved but nevertheless as you say it is a strange one and i thought there might be an explanation that i can't see. It seemed to me to be a very handy setting and a good back up for forgetful moments of which fortunately i have very few. When i'm (financially) ready to go to broadband how do i establish what type of modem my eMac requires? I have been told to ask Telecom (ISP) but a mac person already on broadband should be able to tell me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Which model eMac and what OS version are you running?

Resetting PRAM is pretty easy and is a simple fix sometimes for strange issues, as is repairing disk permissions. No need to do it if you don't want to.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Depending on the model, some modems on eMacs have been known to fail over time. Usually though, they simply won't connect at all.

If you do move to broadband in the future, the provider will supply the modem. Normally there isn't a specific model, as they are universal. They don't work the same as a dialup modem.

If you want to continue troubleshooting, just let us know.

C

Reaction score
I will have a look at the link you sent for resetting the PRAM, i've often heard of it. Repairing disc permissions has been done along the way in a quest to solve other issues.
My eMac model is PowerMac6,4 PPC G4 and i have 10.5.8

Ask a Question