Deleting old iMessage people

Reaction score
Hi guys, Steve here with a MacBook Air Ventura 13.3. I seem to have some old non-existent contacts brought in from my old Mac book Pro and I really do not know how to delete them from messages. I accidentally sent my wife something to her old contact number and email and got the red exclamation mark showing not sent. I tried a few ways but failed; I would love to know a good way to delete old, expired contacts from messages. Thank you.

Reaction score
I've had that happen with Apple's Mail. It keeps track of previous recipients. From within Apple Mail, selecting Window/Previous Recipients, I have an editable list of addresses that have gotten email from me. I don't see anything similar for the messages app.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

To further Howard's response, you could simply delete the failed messages and then make sure those entries aren't listed in the Contacts application. Contacts is where Messages gets its information.

C

Reaction score
I only have one contact for my wife in Contacts but when I go to 'new message" it constantly pulls up 2 old numbers for her that I cannot delete from messages, nor are they in "contacts" . Would like to delete from messages so they are not an option to accidentally use, thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Maybe the previous contacts list in Mail is affecting it? Are those entires listed there?

C

Reaction score
There has to be some "rogue" list somewhere because I deleted all my wife's previous contact info from
"contacts" on both my Macs and my phone. When I search those lists only the 1 correct phone number and 1 correct email show up.
However, if I go to "new message" or "new email" on any of my 3 devices and type her name I get all the old email addresses and phone numbers showing as choices so they will not go away permanently.
I went thru previous recipients and deleted what I could ( its been a couple of years since I texted her at work and those do not show up).

Ask a Question