Deleting emails in mac mail

Reaction score
PLEASE, how does one permanently delete emails from Mail? Every time I delete an email, it returns to my All Mail folder. I have 20,000 messages in there, 3/4 of which I do not want. Not only do they take up space, but every time they get sent back it uses internet bandwidth.

Reaction score
Hi,

How have you got your mail box preferences set re deleting from mail server?

Reaction score
Hi, in accounts, mailbox behaviors, I have the trash section ticked for "move deleted messages to the trash mailbox" but NOT ticked for "store deleted messages on the server", and permanently erase deleted messages when quitting mail. I have tried deleting then deleting from trash. But a few minutes later the messages always return.

I have, however, tried deleting directly from the gmail account (on the web), and that seems to be working. But it's a bit of a ball-ache given that I don't usually use the site.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

Is this a POP or IMAP account personally I would rebuild the mailbox as a first step. I have multiple accounts and never had issues Mac mail just works.

Here is a screen shot of my Gmail account settings and also where you can find the rebuild option.
Just go to your gmail inbox on Mac mail - mailbox -rebuild.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.00.07.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.00.07.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.02.12.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 11.02.12.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
Hi,

You should not loos any other than the deleted ones, but back up first (TM) or other method you normally use. There is always a chance of hiccups with any technology no matter what.
Also they will be on your mail server and after rebuild brought back into the respective inbox.

Ask a Question