Gmail emails not deleting

Reaction score
I just installed OS X, everything is new to me. Opened mail and I have two mailboxes coming into Mac mail. My local account provider and a gmail account. I was deleting Gmail emails but then when I go into the general combined Inbox and then back into the specific gmail folder, all the emails are back? I have deleted over and over and they come back? Doesn't happen with the other local provider Inbox, just Gmail.
There are other weird things but this is the most frustrating.
Thanks for any guidance.

Reaction score
Sandy, I ran into the same problem a while back, as have others. Unless I am mistaken, the issue you are having does not concern your settings in Apple Mail; it concerns your settings on Google's gmail website. You need to log into your gmail account and look at the various settings.

More specifically, do this:

1. Go to the gmail website,.

2. Log in if you are not already logged in.

3. Click on the gear icon that is located on the top right corner of the page.

4. Scroll down under the gear menu and select "settings".

5. Once the settings page loads, look in the "Labels" section, as well as the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" sections. They are both in that long row of links near the top of the page.

There are things that you need to turn off so that gmail stops sending the same things to you. It is sending them to you repeatedly, because you have not told it not to. Just look at those gmail settings, and adjust them until Apple Mail is behaving the way that you want it to.

I hope this helps.

Ask a Question