Delete but not everything...

Reaction score
Hey guys - giving my old Mac laptop to a friend. I don't want to factory reset so that they can enjoy the programs I've downloaded - any idea how to wipe off all of my files and still keep the applications, etc?

I thought about just creating a new user profile for them as I don't think they are super techy, but if they ever get rid of the computer, I don't want anyone else to have access or be able to retrieve my info/details/et el.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kristen

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Technically, it is illegal and against the software licensing agreements to leave software you have purchased on a device that is no longer in your possession. ;)

That said, you can create a user for them on the Mac s you stated, and delete yours, as all of your personal information and files are in your user Home folder.

C

Reaction score
Provided it's on 'loan' to your friend, I can't see the problem . . . however . . .

I've been using my 2008 15" MacBook Pro while I did a battery change on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" Retina, and realised the (really) old machine was holding its own rather well. Runs Yosemite with the Apple suite very nicely. Might be worth a few bob.

I'm not now an Apple fan as I don't like the idea of non-upgradable machines, but really impressed with the old one - I came to Mac because of Windows Vista and have never looked back, especially with Parallels Desktop.

My next machine when this dies will be Linux for a fraction of the price of a Mac - especially in UK.

Reaction score
Provided it's on 'loan' to your friend, I can't see the problem . . . however . . .

I've been using my 2008 15" MacBook Pro while I did a battery change on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" Retina, and realised the (really) old machine was holding its own rather well. Runs Yosemite with the Apple suite very nicely. Might be worth a few bob.

I'm not now an Apple fan as I don't like the idea of non-upgradable machines, but really impressed with the old one - I came to Mac because of Windows Vista and have never looked back, especially with Parallels Desktop.

My next machine when this dies will be Linux for a fraction of the price of a Mac - especially in UK.
I assume you enjoy farking around with command lines and such like. I once set out to install Linux and after a couple of days of arcane clusterflocks I decided I had wasted enough time, but I'm not a masochist by nature.

Reaction score
Funnily enough no. I had to create an installation CD and installed Linux Mint 19 on my 2008 MacBook Pro (that has a CD drive). Once I booted from the CD, I was able to install it as a 'native' system.

On my 2015 MBP, I use Parallels Desktop to run my Linux (only because I can, not because I need it). Linux Mint is a cracker, it won't be a sad day when it's my primary system.

Reaction score
Funnily enough no. I had to create an installation CD and installed Linux Mint 19 on my 2008 MacBook Pro (that has a CD drive). Once I booted from the CD, I was able to install it as a 'native' system.

On my 2015 MBP, I use Parallels Desktop to run my Linux (only because I can, not because I need it). Linux Mint is a cracker, it won't be a sad day when it's my primary system.
Different strokes for different folks.

Ask a Question