SOLVED Date and Time jump to 2037

Reaction score
Hi - Yesterday my MacBook pro (mid 2014) running Sierra 10.12.4 showed a date of Jan 2037 on sign on. I use it every day and it hasn't sat around for any extended period off line. This has never happened before. I have a Norton for Mac security installed with their anti-virus program. Norton updated its files when I signed on, then my system date and time looked normal... However, later in the same day the Norton security logs showed a date in year 2041, while the mac date and time remained correct. The date and time on my system are set to auto-update. After uninstalling and reinstalling Norton yesterday with the on line help of their tech, (who was good,) today my system is back to normal. The Norton security logs are showing the correct date and time now. I wonder what happened yesterday? Could my mother board battery be getting low? How can I diagnose further, even though everything is normal today in my system and in Norton Security? Thanks!!! Gordon

Reaction score
Hi - Yesterday my MacBook pro (mid 2014) running Sierra 10.12.4 showed a date of Jan 2037 on sign on. I use it every day and it hasn't sat around for any extended period off line. This has never happened before. I have a Norton for Mac security installed with their anti-virus program. Norton updated its files when I signed on, then my system date and time looked normal... However, later in the same day the Norton security logs showed a date in year 2041, while the mac date and time remained correct. The date and time on my system are set to auto-update. After uninstalling and reinstalling Norton yesterday with the on line help of their tech, (who was good,) today my system is back to normal. The Norton security logs are showing the correct date and time now. I wonder what happened yesterday? Could my mother board battery be getting low? How can I diagnose further, even though everything is normal today in my system and in Norton Security? Thanks!!! Gordon
My Apple Diagnostics showed no problems - Gordon

Reaction score
Apple support said it was probably a temporary software glitch since all is back to normal, and not to worry unless it recurs. Then they would have me re-install Sierra. No need to reply to my posts - Gordon

Reaction score
In your Date and Time settings in Preferences, it gets its info like the day, month, year, from the Apple server. If its deselected it will run from the internal clock. If you're in a corporate network it will pull it from whatever is designated. Another way is if the backup battery was depleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question