Could RAM be dead again?? Plus HD stuff

Reaction score
Hello :)

This is my first post on here. I hope someone can help me with my questions.

About two months ago I experienced some issues with my 2010 Macbook Pro. It was crashing all of the time, particularly while working in InDesign (graphic design program). I'd be working away and it would just freeze and I'd have to turn it off by holding down the power button. Often I would get the 'three beeps' when turning it back on. Sometimes the screen would go weird too. Horizontal lines black, white, magenta and green (hope you know what I mean by that) and then it would die.

So, I ran memtest and it crashed every time. I was pretty sure it was a ran problem. I removed one stick of ram (had 2 x 2gb sticks) and it seemed to work ok. I purchased new ram (yes, it's compatible ram - I'm 100% sure). I got 2 x 4gb sticks this time. Thought if I was replacing it I should upgrade at the same time.

Everything worked perfectly. I had a couple of months of pain-free working.... until now. Same issues again. Ran memtest, crashed. Everything the same as last time. The ram can't be dead again can it? How is that possible? Can something be making my ram die?

I also heard a high pitched short squeal coming from the speakers before one freeze and read on another forum to verify the HD. When I tried to verify 'Macintosh HD' it said 'Invalid Node Structure' and says it needs to be repaired. Is this anything to do with the issues I'm having? Related?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Reaction score
Probably not.

FYI: If you didn't use a anti-static mat installing RAM there is a very very high chance of damaging it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't install it. My partner did and he works in IT, so I know it would have been done right. Just thought I'd check to see if any Mac users had an idea about what is going on, as he works with PCs. Besides, it had been working great after new RAM install. It seemed to completely fix the problem until now. I noticed a huge difference as it was freezing at least one an hour and after new RAM no freezing at all until now (2 months later).

Do you have any idea if what could be going on then?

Any other test I could run?

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I suspect your disk may be in trouble.
Invalid Node Structure
I suggest that you backup all your files ASAP, then possibly look at DiskWarrior many say this has worked for them regarding this error, but personally never used it.

Ask a Question