Copying large file result in "can’t be read or written" error?!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 31GB *.bin file on my HDD (Mac OS 10.14). When I try to duplicate it (same folder, just a copy) or if I try to copy it to another folder I get the following error...

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “file.bin” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

This error occurs after 250MB - 350MB already copied. When I try to move it within the same HDD it works just fine, but as soon as I try to copy/duplicate it I get this error. I also tried the following...

- copy it to another flash-drive = does not work
- dot_clean method in Terminal = does not fix
- upload the file to a server = does not work
- rename the file / remove *.bin extension = does not fix
- file privilege set to read&write for everyone, admin... = does not work

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Alexander

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?

Initially, it sounds like either the file is corrupted or the drive may have bad blocks/sectors where the file resides. If either of those are true, you could get that error when trying to copy it. Just moving it to another location/folder on the current drive only rewrites to the directory where the file is...it doesn't actually have to read/write the entire file.

Do you have another copy of the file in a Time Machine or other backup?

C

Ask a Question