Copying (and moving) photos inside folder

Reaction score
OK so my first simple job. Fairly simple on PC.

I quite regularly post photos of mine on a forum. It is practically the knockabout section of the forum, it is for snaps that communicate a story, so this is not about any advanced photographic processing. At most I have used an automatic enhancer. More important for the nature of the thing I do want to crop them for best effect. I don't usually spend much time to do the necessary. But I do need to make several copies, then I might look at some different crops of a few different photos and then decide which is best.

I did transport a little album of photos into the Photos of my MacBook. The Help says I can copy the photos into the same folder by (little different from PC) "select an item to copy, hold down the Option key then drag the item to a new location in the document." Did that many times, the icon is doh led and one copy moves but then release in either order - nothing happens and everything is like before.

OK I have just seen I can edit my photos without copying them as Mac keeps my original one. And presumably every one of my edits. Nevertheless it says the above, the only thing I found searching for Copy - is there shome mishundershtanding? (BTW I found it said in some other forum you can not copy photos to another place in same folder in Mac.)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish.

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you only using Photos, or do you have another photo editing app?
-Are you trying to make copies of pics in Photos or in Finder folders on your hard drive?

We'll try and help you sort it out,

C

Reaction score
It's OS X Yoshemite Version 10.10.5

What I'm trying to do is quite simple. I have a file of a few photos in Photo called 'last import' the only photos I have yet imported. Of two I wanted to make additional copies. I might often want to do that, see last post. On PC that was quite simple - hold ctrl and drag and drop a pic. There seem to be instructions which I quoted above which say I can do the same thing inside the file - but I can't. There are possibly other ways I haven't explored yet but this was always such a convenient way and the quoted text suggested it is available in Mac.

(On other but related subjects it is nice Mac thinks of what I might want. Without doing anything that I am aware of in photos I have now found a few recent photos from my photos in my iPad. Was pleasantly surprised to find 'faces' with 3 photos that are not mine of family relations plus I think a guy whose lectures I watch on iPad.

I am not yet really into Cloud (except Dropbox with iPad), it is still cloudy. Spent 2 or 3 days unable to get mouse to work following instructions, then it came right when I wasn't looking. Boh.)

Ask a Question