Converting workflows/.apps

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a PhD student of corpus linguistics, and have created a rather massive workflow/application (45ish actions) that creates text corpora of websites, discussion forums, etc.. The program basically asks for URLs, gets links on those pages, gets links from those, filters the list and downloads the urls. The text of the pages is then combined into a single .txt, which is then 'cleaned' with a few scripts (lines beginning with symbols removed, etc..). The later stages of the workflow involve creating a document with basic metadata, creating a .zip archive, sending things to trash, etc..

Basically, there aren't many tools like this in my research area, and I'd like to make this available online. But the workflow and .app aren't very palatable for the uninitiated, and it's very important to me that the tool is easy to use. As it's quite a linear process, with only a few things to be entered by the user, I would like to somehow transform the workflow into a basic application that resembles a Windows install wizard.

I have searched around, but I don't know if it's possible to somehow transform Automator projects into actual Java/Cocoa applications, or something else that resembles a simple application. I have Xcode, but I can't make head nor tail of it. Essentially, I've become a total Automator whiz, and I understand some basic things about scripts, but this is as far as my experience goes. Any advice from someone more knowledgable would be invaluable!

If it helps to see my workflow, I'd be happy to upload it, too!

Thanks for your time,

Daniel

Ask a Question