Contacts in Sierra

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to transfer an existing Contacts list from my desktop computer to my laptop. The list seems to be embedded in the Contacts application. So I tried to copy the desktop computer's Contacts application to the laptop's Applications folder, replacing the older Contacts by the newer one. This was not permitted, because Contacts is part of the OS and can not be changed, replaced, etc.
So how do I keep both Contacts (lists) identical?

Reaction score
I don't use Contacts (nor iCloud), but I just tried something. I launched the Contacts application on my MacBook Air, and added two contacts. Then, via the File menu, I selected "Export - Contacts Archive", and saved it to my desktop. I believe I can copy that file to a USB "stick"/Flash Drive, pull out the drive, then stick it into a USB port on my Mac Mini, launch the Contacts app on the Mac Mini, and select "Import". I can then select that contacts file from the Flash Drive.

Reaction score
OK, what I stated worked flawlessly. That is:

1. I copied the Contacts file I had exported on my MacBook Air to the desktop.
2. Plugged a USB Flash Drive into one of the USB ports there.
3. "Dragged" that Contact file from the desktop to the flash drive.
4. Unplugged the Flash Drive.
5. Plugged the USB Flash Drive into one of the USB ports on my Mac Mini.
6. Opened the flash drive on my desktop.
7. "Dragged" that Contact file from the flash drive to the desktop.
8. Launched the Contacts app, selected Import from the File Menu, selected that Contacts file from the desktop, and Voila!, that contact list is now "within" the Contacts app on the Mac Mini.

Ask a Question