connecting a macbook to tv

Reaction score
hi,
i've looked on apple's site but couldn't find out about which cable to buy so i can connect a macbook to a tv. please can someone help me out?

thanks,
scott

Reaction score
Hello Scottfenner and Welcome!!

Just to make sure here, it is a MacBook correct? It is NOT a MacBook Pro?

If it is a MacBook and you want the video to connect to the tv, then this is the adaptor you need. In addition to the adaptor, you will either need an S-video cable to connect the adaptor to the TV or a RCA Composite (yellow tip) cord to connect between the adaptor and TV.

If you want audio to go to the TV as well, you will want something like this. I recommend going to Best Buy or Radio Shack for this cable as it will be a lot cheaper!!! But use the picture as your guide. I hope this helps.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Hello Scottfenner and Welcome!!

Just to make sure here, it is a MacBook correct? It is NOT a MacBook Pro?

If it is a MacBook and you want the video to connect to the tv, then this is the adaptor you need. In addition to the adaptor, you will either need an S-video cable to connect the adaptor to the TV or a RCA Composite (yellow tip) cord to connect between the adaptor and TV.

If you want audio to go to the TV as well, you will want something like this. I recommend going to Best Buy or Radio Shack for this cable as it will be a lot cheaper!!! But use the picture as your guide. I hope this helps.

Cheerio
Searay

thanks, Searay!

yeah it will be a macbook, haven't 100% decided on getting one, partially because it's all a little confusing on understanding what i need to get to do this. i read a few reviews of the adaptor and people seem to be having a few problems and those kind of problems always seem to happen to me!

what is the difference between an s-video cable and an rca composite cable? i don't have a brand-new tv, no hd or anything like that just a normal widescreen we've had for years - if that has anything to do with it.

also this is probably me being daft but do you get audio from videos shown on the tv with the video cable or would i need to buy an audio cable too so i can watch and hear videos?

also, what do you mean when you say "use the picture as your guide"?

sorry to sound so daft :) thanks again,
scott

Reaction score
You are most welcome Scott!

yeah it will be a macbook, haven't 100% decided on getting one, partially because it's all a little confusing on understanding what i need to get to do this. i read a few reviews of the adaptor and people seem to be having a few problems and those kind of problems always seem to happen to me!

I know how you feel. I always felt like that with PC equipment. But everything that I bought from Apple works great. And believe me, I have a lot. You don't need a lot to get started.

what is the difference between an s-video cable and an rca composite cable? i don't have a brand-new tv, no hd or anything like that just a normal widescreen we've had for years - if that has anything to do with it.

The difference between S-video and RCA composite is just how the signal is delivered to the TV from the computer. S-Video is digital and RCA is analogue. The best thing to do is look on the back (or front) of your TV(s) you plan on using to connect your Macbook and see what connection options you have. Since you have an older TV, you may only have the RCA connection. To see if you have an RCA connection, just look for a yellow input on the back of the TV. It would probably be grouped with Red and White inputs as well. To see if you have an S-Video input, look on the back of the TV for a input that says S-video. It may be hard to see so have a flashlight handy.

also this is probably me being daft but do you get audio from videos shown on the tv with the video cable or would i need to buy an audio cable too so i can watch and hear videos?

The video cable only transmits video signals. So you will need to buy an audio cable. Remember the Red and White inputs on the back of the TV? Those are your audio inputs. You will need a RCA composite audio with Male Red and White tips and at the other end of the cable should be a male (headphone style) plug that will plug into the Headphone jack of the Macbook.

also, what do you mean when you say "use the picture as your guide"?

Sorry about the ambiguity. I was talking about the second link I provided you. Click on it and look at the product picture. That is the type of audio cable you will need. If you took that product picture into Radio Shack or BestBuy, or other store, they would know what you need. Don't buy the cable that is listed on the second link. You can buy the same cable from Radio Shack or Best Buy for $6 or so.

I hope this clears things up for you. If you need any pictures to help you with the setup or what the cables look like, please let me know and I can take some pictures and post them here if needed.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
You are most welcome Scott!

I know how you feel. I always felt like that with PC equipment. But everything that I bought from Apple works great. And believe me, I have a lot. You don't need a lot to get started.

The difference between S-video and RCA composite is just how the signal is delivered to the TV from the computer. S-Video is digital and RCA is analogue. The best thing to do is look on the back (or front) of your TV(s) you plan on using to connect your Macbook and see what connection options you have. Since you have an older TV, you may only have the RCA connection. To see if you have an RCA connection, just look for a yellow input on the back of the TV. It would probably be grouped with Red and White inputs as well. To see if you have an S-Video input, look on the back of the TV for a input that says S-video. It may be hard to see so have a flashlight handy.

The video cable only transmits video signals. So you will need to buy an audio cable. Remember the Red and White inputs on the back of the TV? Those are your audio inputs. You will need a RCA composite audio with Male Red and White tips and at the other end of the cable should be a male (headphone style) plug that will plug into the Headphone jack of the Macbook.

Sorry about the ambiguity. I was talking about the second link I provided you. Click on it and look at the product picture. That is the type of audio cable you will need. If you took that product picture into Radio Shack or BestBuy, or other store, they would know what you need. Don't buy the cable that is listed on the second link. You can buy the same cable from Radio Shack or Best Buy for $6 or so.

I hope this clears things up for you. If you need any pictures to help you with the setup or what the cables look like, please let me know and I can take some pictures and post them here if needed.

Cheerio
Searay

okay, great. i decided last night that i would definitely go for it as well, i heard today from someone from apple on the phone about the 2 weeks ago release, that's sealed it!

i'm just in 2 minds about which video cable to get - home's tv only has rca inputs and my dad's has both s-video and rca! i don't mind getting both too much but if the difference doesn't matter that much, i'll just go for rca. i've found this cable: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp..._mmc=Froogle-_-AI-_-BEL-_-BELF8V320W&src=FRO1 that seems to do both, is that right? this way i'll save a little money and have 1 cable for every tv! hopefully this cable works with apple's adapter that i'll be buying so i won't have to buy any expensive apple cables.

everything apart from the video cable issue is understood now, thanks a lot, Searay.

Reaction score
okay, great. i decided last night that i would definitely go for it as well, i heard today from someone from apple on the phone about the 2 weeks ago release, that's sealed it!

i'm just in 2 minds about which video cable to get - home's tv only has rca inputs and my dad's has both s-video and rca! i don't mind getting both too much but if the difference doesn't matter that much, i'll just go for rca. i've found this cable: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr...V320W&src=FRO1 that seems to do both, is that right? this way i'll save a little money and have 1 cable for every tv! hopefully this cable works with apple's adapter that i'll be buying so i won't have to buy any expensive apple cables.

everything apart from the video cable issue is understood now, thanks a lot, Searay.

No problem!

I wish that cable page you posted had a real picture. But from what I understand the specs, that looks like it will do the trick.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
i thought i knew everything now but just went onto apple's uk store to find the price for the cable in the uk and the equivelant cable looks totally different :confused:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E099&nplm=M9321

there was also this: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M9319 but the description doesn't mention the macbook so it must be the first one.

this is the confusion i was talking about starting already!! i'm really sorry to drag this topic out but i really need help on this! should have mentioned i lived in the uk to be honest, didn't think.

hope you can still help me out,
scott

Reaction score
Hello Scott!

Actually, it's the second one. I am stumped as to why it doesn't mention MacBook. It's the same adaptor I showed you. Hmmmm....Maybe Ric or Kyomii, or someone who lives in the UK could step in here as I don't live in the UK. So, I don't now the PAL system very well.

Sorry Scott. I just want to make sure you get what you need and that it works. Better safe than sorry.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
that's okay mate, i'll just phone apple before i order to make sure i know what i'm getting.

the reason i posted here is because it's always pretty late when i have the chance to think about stuff like this so thought a forum was the best bet.

it does make sense that it would be the 2nd one since it looks identical, i'll get it sorted though don't worry.

thanks for your time,
scott

Reaction score
If anyone has HD TVs with PC VGA input, then it is just as easy (and will not cost anything) to connect the VGA monitor lead to the back of the TV.

I had my Mac mini connected this way to my TV for a good while.

Ask a Question