Cleaning up?

Reaction score
I've a G4 with OSX that I am going to give to a local school. I want to remove all personal data but keep the programs. I do not have the original OSX disc. Any quick and easy way do accomplish this?

Reaction score
Yes, wipe the OS X before providing it to school. You can use "disk utility" for this and also I have one tried and tested utility for wiping purpose and that is "Stellar Wipe". I just love this utility reason being it provide up to 35 passes so that no one can even think of recovering data using any of the softwares present.

Reaction score
I do not have the original OSX disc
Then Setup a new clean Admin Account.
Delete Your whole old User Account.

Also while it sounds like a nice thing to do, are you really doing the school a favour?
Schools will try and use it and the G4s are way past there "Use By" day. Children don't need old computers they need the very best in technology for learning.

With older Macs we set them to boot into something like "Gramma and Me" and install them in pre-schools, with clear instructions, when it stops working call us and we'll dump it.

Ask a Question