Checking mail from another machine

Reaction score
Hi guys-

I have finally gotten my mail service running using 10.3.9 Server (through a combination of Server Admin, Workgroup Manager and some commandline stuff for crying out loud- can't this be made easier?). I can receive email from outside the network successfully. I can also send email from the new domain-based account I have set up on the server.

The problem is, I cannot check email from another machine with a different email client using the exact same info I'm using on the Server machine. I get an error msg stating that I need to check U/N, P/W, or security settings despite having given all available permissions to this user in Workgroup Mgr.

I can, however, log on remotely to the user's folder via the LAN using the unique U/N and P/W info. I'm not sure how many more ways I can give permissions to access the email account without compromising the server's security.

Elsewhere along the same line of problems, I was trying to move the Mail Store location to the User folder thinking that it needed to be there for log in purposes of checking mail. But, if I create a different Mail store other than the default (stopping, changing, saving, and then restarting mail service as directed), mail stops recognizing any U/N and P/W information altogether.

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts~

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Can you send me screen grabs of the Mail Server Setup in Server admin...

It would make it easier ! (e-mail address removed)

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the pics !

It makes it so much easier !

What are the IP addresses of the computers that you are trying to send Mail from ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have a group of 5 IPs- the server is at 206.62.x.x, I'm currently checking email from 206.62.x.x

:confused:

EDIT: Hmm- you're probably looking at the filter settings which 'accept SMTP relays only from these hosts and networks'...

*cough*

er...should I uncheck that?

Edit:I have removed the IP addresses, for security, Ric.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

yes, I was ! ;-)

I have added in that IP Address, then you will need to add in the rest of the IP addresses that you want to be able to send email from.

I have also turned of APOP Authentication in the POP Settings, this may help with the other computer...

What email client software are you using ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm checking it from the other machine locally with Entourage For Mac v10.1.6 and still getting this:

-----

The server returned the following error

List of supported mechanisms follows. Check the username/password or security settings.

-----

If I want to be able to check that account remotely (away from the home network), should I just go ahead and disable that option?

EDIT: Okay, I just unchecked the 'always use secure password' in my account options and it worked!!! Yippeeeee!!

Thanks, ric- you RAWK

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

as long as you have a Username and Password (and have been assigned Mail privileges in WorkGroup Manager) then you will be able to check mail remotely !

Don't disable that option...that helps to protect your mail Server from becoming an Open Relay...it limits mail being sent through the server unless you have 'one' of those IP addresses or a Username and Password.

Let me know if you need any further help !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you also want to change this bit,

relay0001.jpg

because you are running a Server on an ADSL connection your Mail Server, will work, but most of the big boys AOL etc will not forward (relay) mail from servers that have a ADSL IP Address...

I'm not sure of the exact Mail Server Address (name), it may not be smtp.swbell.net you'll have to find that out.

Then when your Mail is sent to your server it will be 'relayed' through your ISP's Mail Server, then it won't get bounced.

In your Mail logs...

adsl-216-62-x-x.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net

I have edited it for privacy...

Most of the Spam on the Internet comes from either Open Relays or from people setting up there own mail Servers for sending out Spam...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No problem,

we're here to help !

Let us know if you have any more queries !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question