Can't open DMG file

Reaction score
When I try to open a .DMG file, I get a message that I don't have the right application. What do I need to do?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have the .dmg files ever opened as they should?

In the "Get Info" window for the .dmg, look in the "Open With" section & tell me what it says in the drop-down menu, it should say DiscImageMounter.app.

If it doesn't then just select it from the menu if it's there.

Otherwise check the following path to make sure you have DiscImageMounter …

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiscImageMounter.app

Reaction score

In the "Get Info" window for the .dmg, look in the "Open With" section & tell me what it says in the drop-down menu, it should say DiscImageMounter.app.

I don't understand finding the "Get info" window for the .dmg

Reaction score

Not sure if they have opened before; I think so. I've never had this problem before. Thanks

Reaction score

What Spawn_Dooley means is to do the following:

1. Without the .dmg file opened, click on it once.

2. Go to the File Menu, and select "Get Info".

3. A dialogue box will subsequently open, containing quite a bit of information related to the .dmg file. One of them, as he said, is "Open With".

I just did exactly that with the .dmg file for the latest version of ClamXav, and the entry for "Open With" said "DiskImageMounter (default)".

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I try to open the .dmg file, it just says there is no application to open it. I don't see where I'd find the "Get Info" window.

Reaction score
When I try to open the .dmg file, it just says there is no application to open it. I don't see where I'd find the "Get Info" window.

Again, do NOT open the .dmg file. Just click on it ONCE (not twice), and then navigate to the File menu as I stated above.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks honestone.

BillT said:
ok, got it! Under open with it says DiskImageMounter.

Now we know that everything is as it should be in the "Get Info" window the next thing to do is …

Check the following path to make sure you have DiscImageMounter …

MacinstoshHD/System/Library/CoreServices/DiscImageMounter.app

We need to ascertain that you do actually have DiscImageMounter.app on your System.

Reaction score
Yes, it appears in my Coreservices. When I double click on it nothing happens. In my Library the CoreServices file has an X on it. Here's how it looks in CoreServices.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-05-10 at 3.39.37 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-05-10 at 3.39.37 AM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 459

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that folder has the OS X logo on it. Nothing will happen if you double-click the DiskImageMounter app since it is a OS X System service that has no interface, it will simply launch in the background. It is only used as a background service to mount DMG files.

I would try repairing disk permissions using Disk Utility and restarting the Mac. Then try mounting the DMG again.

C

Reaction score
Yes, that folder has the OS X logo on it. Nothing will happen if you double-click the DiskImageMounter app since it is a OS X System service that has no interface, it will simply launch in the background. It is only used as a background service to mount DMG files.

I would try repairing disk permissions using Disk Utility and restarting the Mac. Then try mounting the DMG again.

C

Excellent idea, Cory! Hopefully, that will work.

Reaction score
Ok, I got to my Disk Utility.
When I try to Repair Disk Permissions, it starts, it tells me how long it's going to take, stays there for a while, then that goes away. I think I'm going to have to erase the disk and start over!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sometimes it can take quite a long time to repair permissions. What do you mean by it stays there for a while, then that goes away?

C

Reaction score
OK, this time it worked. t says it repaired permissions. But now in my Library, there is no Core Services!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just to be clear there are 3 Libraries, the User & 2 Mac OS Libraries … Just need to ensure you are in the right one!

MacintoshHD ~> System (folder has an X on it) ~> Library

I would try rebooting then checking again

Ask a Question