Can't Insert Pages in Preview

Reaction score
I open a document, and view thumbnails. I go to Edit > Insert > Page From Scanner / Page From File / Blank Page - but these three options are not highlighted so I can not choose them. This always worked in the past! can't figure out why it won't let me select any of them... I also tried dragging and dropping pages into the thumbnails and it seems to work but when I save the document and then close and reopen it, only the first page shows up and all the other pages are gone. Please help me!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

A few troubleshooting questions for you:
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of Preview?
-Where are the PDFs saved when you open them?
-Have you tried more than one PDF?
-Are these PDFs you created?
-Can you print to a PDF from any application?

C

Reaction score
10.11.6 (El Capitan) / Preview version 8.1 / They are JPG's and they're on my desktop / I can't highlight any of the choices (as I explained) So I can't try any other PDF's or JPG's. / These are JPG's from scanned-in documents / I can print anything, PDF's or otherwise - not sure I understand the question...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

If you are viewing a JPG or other image file, you cannot insert images/files etc. Those functions are only available when working with PDFs...that may be the issue. Try opening a ODF and see if those functions are available.

I was only asking about printing PDFs to see if there was an issue somewhere else in the system. ;)

C

Ask a Question